Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,678   Posts: 1,482,065   Online: 750

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: SLR woes

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If you are wearing out FM's and F100's then I am afraid that, nice as they are, Olympus cameras will probably not stand up to your usage. I have both a brace of OM2n's with a large selection of lenses and F2/F3/F4/FM2 Nikons and so have some basis for making a comparison between the systems. The OM's are quite frail compared to the Nikons - but that should be expected with the Oly's being famous for being light and compact. If you were looking for cameras for travel or hiking I can't think of much more suitable cameras than OM's.

If you already have a selection of Nikon lenses then it would make financial sense to stick with Nikon. There is also the saying "Better the Devil you know than the Devil you don't."

If you stick with Nikons I would suggest you limit yourself to lightly used professional grade Nikons.

Going by KEH prices you can pick up a Nikon F3 for $264, F4 for $349 and an F5 for $449 - all in EX condition. You should be able to get 25% or more off for a private sale unless the seller offers the same return privileges as KEH. Hardly outrageous prices.
    DARKROOM AUTOMATION
    f-Stop Timers - Enlarging Meters
    http://www.darkroomautomation.com/da-main.htm

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas Lindan View Post
    If you are wearing out FM's and F100's then I am afraid that, nice as they are, Olympus cameras will probably not stand up to your usage. I have both a brace of OM2n's with a large selection of lenses and F2/F3/F4/FM2 Nikons and so have some basis for making a comparison between the systems. The OM's are quite frail compared to the Nikons - but that should be expected with the Oly's being famous for being light and compact. If you were looking for cameras for travel or hiking I can't think of much more suitable cameras than OM's.

If you already have a selection of Nikon lenses then it would make financial sense to stick with Nikon. There is also the saying "Better the Devil you know than the Devil you don't."

If you stick with Nikons I would suggest you limit yourself to lightly used professional grade Nikons.

Going by KEH prices you can pick up a Nikon F3 for $264, F4 for $349 and an F5 for $449 - all in EX condition. You should be able to get 25% or more off for a private sale unless the seller offers the same return privileges as KEH. Hardly outrageous prices.
    The F100 isn't worn out, it's just to big and obnoxious. The FM and FM2 were bought used, and I have no idea on how heavily the former owners had been using them. Both models shutters hung up, and haven't been willing to play nicely after that.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by olleorama View Post
    do you see the shutter speed and aperture on both models?
    Er, in the viewfinder I mean
    You do with the OM-4, but I find that a distraction. If you are proficient with your camera you should know where you are speed and aperture wise and just shoot. I always know where I set my camera when it comes up to my eye, and can adjust up or down and know where it is set after adjusting. I dont need my camera telling me what I did, thats for neophytes.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum
    BTW: the big kid in my avatar is my hero, my son, who proudly serves us in the Navy. "SALUTE"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    do you see the shutter speed and aperture on both models? Er, in the viewfinder I mean
    Models of what?

OM2's don't show the aperture - The aperture ring is at the nose end of the lens so Nikon style viewing is out. OM2's only show the shutter speed in auto mode, in manual you just get a centering needle. A PITA if you are used to Nikon's displays.
    DARKROOM AUTOMATION
    f-Stop Timers - Enlarging Meters
    http://www.darkroomautomation.com/da-main.htm

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick A View Post
    You do with the OM-4, but I find that a distraction. If you are proficient with your camera you should know where you are speed and aperture wise and just shoot. I always know where I set my camera when it comes up to my eye, and can adjust up or down and know where it is set after adjusting. I dont need my camera telling me what I did, thats for neophytes.
    Tsss, now you're being elitistic. I like to see the information if it's displayed in a good way.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Tsss, now you're being elitistic. I like to see the information if it's displayed in a good way.
    Not elitist, just second nature from having an OM-1 hanging off my face for so many years
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum
    BTW: the big kid in my avatar is my hero, my son, who proudly serves us in the Navy. "SALUTE"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by puderse View Post
    Price recapitulates quality
    Dude, these things ain't alive.
    Michael Batchelor
    Industrial Informatics, Inc.
    www.industrialinformatics.com

The camera catches light. The photographer catches life.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas Lindan View Post
    Models of what?

OM2's don't show the aperture - The aperture ring is at the nose end of the lens so Nikon style viewing is out. OM2's only show the shutter speed in auto mode, in manual you just get a centering needle. A PITA if you are used to Nikon's displays.
    I meant the Om1 and OM4 rick A was writing about.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    More suggestions!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Try some new kenko analog cameras

http://www.kenkoglobal.com/cameras.html

They have k-mount, F-mount....
    OM-1n: Do I need to own a Leica?
    Rolleicord Va: Humble.
    Agfa Isolette III: Amazingly simple, yet it produces outstanding negatives.
    Holga 120GFN: EV 11 or EV 12.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin