Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,299   Posts: 1,535,780   Online: 714

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: SLR woes

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

SLR woes

Ok, I'm looking for a compact manual slr. I have used and abused nikons trustworthy FM and FM2 models (along with F100 and F80), but they have given up their ghost on me. I have a few lenses I like, a 50/1.8 pancake, decent lens but focus is a bit loose, a 28/2.8 which I really like, and a 85/something, decent. So a few alternatives now:

• Shell out for repairs, which are stupidly expensive here in Sweden
    • Buy another FM/FM2/FA or similar
    • Invest in a new system

I also have a chinon something with quite a few m42 lenses, most are third party and of dodgy quality.

Been contemplating Olympys OM-seires, most likely OM4. Konica T-series also seems interesting, from what I've heard the AR hexanons are quite swell, my girlfriend has a TC with a 40/1.8 which gets stellar reviews, and the house seems quite compact. How are the manual minoltas? I would like to have at least 1/2000th maximum shutter speed, 1/4000th is better.

The reason I'm thinking of switching from Nikon is that their lenses fetch absurd prices nowadays, and manual Nikon bodies are all the rage. Most used manual bodies are way higher priced today than for, let's say, 5 years ago.

Does anybody have any good advice and experience?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I am a diehard Olympus OM-1 shooter also have an OM-4 so no sense me telling you to buy anything else.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Only thing is the shutter speed dial is on the lens mount. But hey, it's like that on my mamiya as well

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I cant think of a better placement for the controls, never have to remove my hand from focus position to change shutter speed or aperture, or my trigger finger away from the shutter release on the motor drive.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    do you see the shutter speed and aperture on both models?
    Er, in the viewfinder I mean

Shooter
    Medium Format
    You do not mention the level of automation you want or do not want. Also, any particular features? Level of use, i.e. a main system, backup, occaissional carrier. Budget? One of the best buys today in a 35mm system for me is the Bronica ETRsi with a 35mm back. A professional level camera for peanuts and the lenses are great. Admittedly shutter only to 1/500 but, it is more than enough for most shots. Since you use multiformat, just get a 120 back and you can have a 645 when you want something with more film area.

SInce M42 lenses are rather plentiful and you have some consider a Pentax Spotmatic. Not battery limited as many older camera. More modern and has the 1/2000 shutter is the Yashica FX-3 Super.

Shooter
    35mm

Nikon

Price recapitulates quality

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I want a compact rugged manual SLR. 1/500 isn't enought if you wanna do shallow DOF in daylight. My main system is the RB67, I need a 35 mm for daily use, when I feel like don't taking the rangefinder. Compact but with lenses still capable doing decdent 16x20 from acros (Nikon delivers on this).

Spotmatic isn't very compact, neither is ETRsi. I wan't no automation basically.

EDIT: this was in response to BrianL

Shooter
    35mm RF
    See if you can get your hands on a Minolta XD-11 or XE-7 for comparison. The XEs are selling for less than $100 and XDs are about $100-150. Good glass is out there as a bargain, too (examples: 50mm 1.7 at $20, 135mm 3.5 at $15). XE uses Leitz shutter, is solidly built, while the XD is smaller, more refined and shutter and aperture priority auto modes.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bearman View Post
    See if you can get your hands on a Minolta XD-11 or XE-7 for comparison. The XEs are selling for less than $100 and XDs are about $100-150. Good glass is out there as a bargain, too (examples: 50mm 1.7 at $20, 135mm 3.5 at $15). XE uses Leitz shutter, is solidly built, while the XD is smaller, more refined and shutter and aperture priority auto modes.
    Good solid advice. The rokkors are good glass, yes?

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin