Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,276   Posts: 1,534,796   Online: 842

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by kivis View Post
    Anyone tried the Voigtlander 58/1.4? I heard the optics are awesome.
    Kivis,

There are no magic bullets.
    Mark Barendt, Ignacio, CO

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by fstop View Post
    and speaking of contrast I want the latest, newest lens I can find so it has the most advanced coating on the optics and best manufacture quality.

"Newest" and "best manufacture quality" is often an oxymoron...

Also "newest" and the other qualities you describe doesn't always hold true.
    There are some very, very good "old" lenses out there.
    M6, SL, SL2, R5, P6x7, SL3003, SL35-E, F, F2, FM, FE-2, Varex IIa

Shooter
    35mm RF
    The 50mm F/2 does indeed punch above its weight. I have, however, discovered the 50mm F/1.2 AIS to be a surprisingly useful general purpose 50; I have now made it my first line 50; supplemented when needed by a 55mm F/2.8 AIS Micro-Nikkor.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I believe the F2-K (here) is optically the same as the AI....here's mine...since cleaned up a bit...and as has been said, it is a wonderful lens...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    This is mine:
    " A loving and caring heart is the beginning of all knowledge " ~ Thomas Carlyle ~

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Anyone tried the Voigtlander 58/1.4? I heard the optics are awesome.
    http://www.apug.org/forums/forum52/9...-1-4-slii.html
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    35mm
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by markbarendt View Post
    Kivis,

There are no magic bullets.
    Not really an answer.
    Akiva S.

Nikkormat FTN, Nikon F, Nikon FE, Leica M3

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kshapero/

My Blog

At the confluence of Black Creek and the Locust Fork of the Warrior River, Alabama
    Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Akiva, i like my nikkor 50/2 better than my nikkor 50/1.8 with black and white film. with color, a toss-up. with black and white, the f2 just seems to have a little edge to it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Not really an answer.
    And you haven't told us what you really want.

Until you define and tell us very specifically what you want from the lens, I.e. what "best" means to you, we can't really help.

What I'm getting at is that sometimes it's my 50 1.4 MF on an FM2, sometimes it's my 50 1.8 AF on my N90s, sometimes neither. My Holga is the best thing for the job on a surprising number of things. There are times I wish I had a rangefinder.

The "best" lens depends on the camera and film I want behind it, if I need flash or not, what the subject is, what the setting what type of shoot, how it will be printed, blah, blah, blah...

So what does best mean to you?

Do you prefer pictorial or f/64 type shots? Adams, Weston, Erwitt, HCB, Karsch, Maplethorp, Jose Villa or Jim Galli. What type of light? What type of film? ...

Throw us a meaningful definition and you'll get a meaningful answer.
    Mark Barendt, Ignacio, CO

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    +1 : the O.P throws out a non-specific question and waits for the team to pick over what they think he/her needs.
    Everyone has a heap of fun describing their fave 50/55 .
    Yawn.
    Oh well,I'll play : the 50/2 Ai has a flatter field than the 1.8 variants. The 1.8's sacrificed some corner performance for slightly higher central sharpness. The two 1.4's I tested, at F2 ,were no sharper than my 50/2 at F2 , but they have a very less than flat field. No 1.8 I have tried has better Bokeh than my 50/2.
    At F4 , my Micro 55/2.8 is no sharper than my 50/2 - tested at 10ft.
    Sample variation could probably account for most of these differences , but Nikon gave users a choice ,when the choice was important for careful users. Point is : "what do you want most ?".

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin