Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,945   Posts: 1,585,836   Online: 991

Shooter
    Sub 35mm

Olympus OM 300/4.5 question

I'm trying to unscrew the front ring of an olympus om 300mm/f4.5 lens. However, up until now I have not been able to, the ring seems to be stuck. I read about the possibility of the ring being assembled with thread locking compound. Does anyone know this for sure? also, does anyone have another idea how to unscrew the ring?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The decorator ring with FL& aperture info on it?
    Try a drop or two of alcohol on the threaded edge and let it work for a few minutes.
    Apply pressure to different sections of the ring as you attempt to unscrew it. Funny how that works sometimes.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    35mm
    Name ring usually isn't a problem. But as suggested, try dribbling denatured alcohol into the threads. Don't use too much, don't get it on the front element as it could run under the edge. If you're planning to clean lens elements (see dust near diaphragm blades) you have to unscrew hood from rear threaded ring, loosen locking screws and unscrew front group which itself may not want to unscrew. This lens also now suffers from oily blades. John

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    That lens is no longer viable. Olympus mandates you send lenses of this type directly to me as I am the only certified Zuiko lens repository in the world.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum

Shooter
    35mm
    If you're trying to clean inside the lens, dust will most likely be on surfaces on either side of diaphragm blades. So, name ring does not have to come out. You have to unscrew entire front lens tube assembly. As noted, unscrew hood from rear knurled ring to expose locking screws. Remove screws, "try" to unscrew front tube. John

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin