Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,955   Posts: 1,522,808   Online: 985

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Shooter
    127 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by CGW View Post
    Sorry but that business model failed. How high does the wreckage have to be to catch your eye?
    Mister Doom and Gloom...

I might add that in my town, every CVS, Walgreen's and Costco still does 1 hour color 35mm. Maybe they don't know about the wreckage?
    - Bill Lynch

Shooter
    Medium Format
    As long as the chemicals and film are available, I don't see a problem with processing.

When the last prolab* in the country goes, I can imagine I'll be offering a jobo based service - as (no doubt) will a number of other people on APUG.

*Loose definition, dip 'n' dunk, multi-format, C41/E6/BW

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by wblynch View Post
    Mister Doom and Gloom...

I might add that in my town, every CVS, Walgreen's and Costco still does 1 hour color 35mm. Maybe they don't know about the wreckage?
    More like Post-Gloom and Doom. I'm actually glad to see crappy big box and small-time minilabs fold. Apart from digital, they helped dig their own graves through indifference and negligence: great when they worked but awful as they scrimped on trained staff and basic QC. Probably the main reason I drifted from 35mm before they folded en masse around Toronto. Quality labs are still afloat--thankfully.
    Last edited by CGW; 08-15-2011 at 06:42 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm

Here in Jacksonville, Florida...

Wal-Mart and Costco only print digital files. CVS and Walgreens still process 35MM print film, no chrome or 120. CVS do a nice job and they are only one mile away. Developing and printing a 24 exposure roll is $9 and a disc is $3 more. I dropped off a roll Saturday, and they said they had taken in five rolls in the last 30 minutes. I hope the bean counters at CVS don't kill it.

We have a real good pro lab in town called Fototechnika. They do most anything you want including medium and 4x5.

Shooter
    35mm
    As long as there is a buck to be made some one will do it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by fstop View Post
    As long as there is a buck to be made some one will do it.
    LOL

a week to two ago on ebaaa dagor77 sold a lens for $11,000.00
    and i read on one website of a lens being sold for $40,000.00

it seems the market is now collectors who are buying and selling
    ask me how ..

Shooter
    35mm
    We have regular monthly cameras shows here in Southern California and I have been attending them for many years. "Back in the day" the shows were huge with eager mobs attending the shows which were held in gymnasium-sized venues. As the digital revolution progressed the shows dwindled and shrank and are now a mere fraction of what they once were. But, in the last year or two they have begun to experience a definite resurgence in attendance and there is actually a brand new monthly show beginning this month (which hasn't happened in many years). In my experience prices have begun to raise again too for certain types of equipment.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by CGW View Post
    These are really just the same old dead horses that deserve a decent burial.
    The "then why aren't camera companies making 35mm cameras anymore?" is actually one of the most common anti-film arguments used by d****** bigots.
    Personal preferences and tastes and the mass market aren't the same thing.

Also, I don't have any trouble getting my film processed in Europe (at least in the 3-4 countries I spend a lot of time in).

I thoroughly enjoy using my "dead horses" and ask myself how come you're on this forum....
    M6, SL, SL2, R5, P6x7, SL3003, SL35-E, F, F2, FM, FE-2, Varex IIa

Shooter
    35mm
    My wife works in palliative care and often tells me about a family's coping strategies. One interesting technique is to imagine a future far worse than everyone else, accept it as inevitable and then adapt for it. Supposedly, then when the future turns out to be not so horrifying, it's easier to cope with or even a positively happy ending.

I think 'resurgence' is limited to certain brands and lenses especially now that adaptors can be made to fit any brand to any body. I see quite a few people with tiny thin digi cams and massive Nikkors attached to them. That said, in the two local tourist hot spots (Oxford & Stratford) I see loads of 35mm film cameras in use.
    Steve.

Shooter
    35mm
    Since I first started buying/selling film equipment three years ago I've noticed the prices drop considerably for most cameras--a nikon fe would cost you $120 a few years ago, now you can buy one for $50. However, the most desirable cameras have held steady.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin