Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,876   Posts: 1,520,254   Online: 1129

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post
    In Vancouver G. King Photo, one of the four surviving full service pro labs, went under last year. Some of their staff were hired by Customcolor, and I think Customcolor may have bought some of their equipment. Customcolor has recently moved to new, expanded premises.

In the conversations I've had with my usual lab, ABC Photo, they indicate to me that volumes have stabilized.

I'm cautiously hopeful.
    Funny, I went to G.King for the first time the week it shut down. I now only use ABC Colour for my film and it's good to hear that they're not having trouble with keeping customers and such.

Shooter
    127 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by BobD View Post
    We have regular monthly cameras shows here in Southern California and I have been attending them for many years. "Back in the day" the shows were huge with eager mobs attending the shows which were held in gymnasium-sized venues. As the digital revolution progressed the shows dwindled and shrank and are now a mere fraction of what they once were. But, in the last year or two they have begun to experience a definite resurgence in attendance and there is actually a brand new monthly show beginning this month (which hasn't happened in many years). In my experience prices have begun to raise again too for certain types of equipment.
    Pasadena is so insane you can barely walk in there anymore

There used to be a great one in Santa Monica but it seems that was like 15 years ago.

Where is the new show?
    - Bill Lynch

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by David Lyga View Post
    Honestly, I have found it to be increasingly difficult to buy film cameras during the past two years, approximately synchronized to the Great Recession. Is this true? Are they now more costly? Do they, like vinyl records, refuse to die a dignified death?

A few years ago people would take ANYTHING for these cameras but now...NOT! Anyone experiencing the same: talking about the mass market type, NOT the Nikon F series, NOT the Leicas, NOT even the Bessa. (But, also, not the Holga or Diana). Types like the Minolta SRT, Pentax Spotmatic, Canon Tlb, Mamiya DTL. These were workhorses and I would take two of same any day for one Nikon F. - David Lyga
    US, Canada or UK.., does not necessarily represents the global or european markets of film cameras and equipment.
    Evil bay and other e-commerce junkyards have always been recycle bins with an interface.
    Eventually, less than 50% of the actual film cameras and equipment, currently in exchange, gets there...
    Most of the 70's and 80's photo stuff with electronics in it, have already shown its age, probably being serviced and to some extend that commands some of their prices.
    The total cost of ownership for photo stuff with electronics will continue to grow as the time goes by.
    The total cost of ownership for all-mechanical photo stuff will continue to be stable for the most part.

Most of the decent samples of photo equipment were sucked by asian resellers and they are reselling them for double and triple prices, partly because they had stocked up a few years ago when the US dollar wasn't so weak as now.

In the continental part of Europe there are still quite a lot of film cameras and equipment that goes for the same prices as a few years ago.
    There are regional meetings, events, internet forums with second hand sections in them..
    There is plenty of fresh B&W film, paper. The prices are better than ever - I am not talking about Kodak, Ilford and Fuji - they have always demanded a kidney and a liver for a single roll of film.
    If You fall for color, there are at least a dozen of 1 hour service color photo labs in almost every large EU city.
    Developing Black-and-White films and printing optically have always been a wizardry and a real art asking for consistent skills and substantial knowledge.

Single use color film cameras are still popular for the average folks, when we talk birthday parties, weddings, holidays etc etc..
    For most of them, the end product is small paper prints, so single use film cameras still gives them better results than the average computer dependent infants.

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    The "then why aren't camera companies making 35mm cameras anymore?" is actually one of the most common anti-film arguments used by d****** bigots.
    Personal preferences and tastes and the mass market aren't the same thing.

Also, I don't have any trouble getting my film processed in Europe (at least in the 3-4 countries I spend a lot of time in).

I thoroughly enjoy using my "dead horses" and ask myself how come you're on this forum....

Think you missed the points, Rol_lei Nut. Dead horses=pointless arguments, e.g., film cameras are now scarce and valuable;and "increases" in film sales indicate a remarkable comeback.

If you've a taste for magical thinking, then bon appetit. But when was belief the earth is flat necessary to post here? Just askin'

Shooter
    Medium Format
    From talking to a couple of Leica dealers, they seem to have no trouble selling film Leicas. In fact one said "We don't have any trouble selling them, we have trouble getting them.". So it seems demand for Leica film cameras, at least in a couple of dealers I know is higher than the number of people selling them.

Less prestigious brands I think hang around the shelves more, when I go into some dealers, they always seem to have the same old cameras in the window, stuff like Nikon F4 etc. which are just too big for anyone who is not serious about shooting. Rolleiflexes, Hasselblads, Leicas, Bessas etc. seem to sell fast though.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I feel there is a small resurgence among young people, if it's because of hipsters wanna live the 1970s life or if it's people who want to learn the art of film photography I don't know. There is a mix of young people buying film. Some hipsters with toy or wide angel toy camera and some people with old, "normal" cameras. They do buy film, and that's good for the companies making film. And disposable cameraes are still a very, very important source of keeping the volume of developing up.

But among the typical normal consumer there is no resurgence what so ever. They use digital for their family snapshots and will never go back to film because of price and convenience.

Companies making film and supplies will have to adjust staff and production lines to supplying low volume quality products for a "small" group of photographers, not cheap sh#! for the masses.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    All it proves is that some people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.
    Ben

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Fuji film thinks there's renewed interest in film. They released a new medium format folder last year.

http://photo-utopia.blogspot.com/201...at-camera.html

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by thegman View Post
    From talking to a couple of Leica dealers, they seem to have no trouble selling film Leicas. In fact one said "We don't have any trouble selling them, we have trouble getting them.". So it seems demand for Leica film cameras, at least in a couple of dealers I know is higher than the number of people selling them.
    ..Its been like that for quite a while. I personally know people waited a few months for their Leicas and they dont live in Tanzania but in Germany and one of them even lives in Wetzlar... as weird as its sounds

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I'm 23 and shoot film. My two best friends shoot film, my ex shoots film, my old college party buds shoot film even. And none of this is Holga stuff. They all learned from when we still had darkroom courses in high school and never saw digital as acceptable unless for drunken late night pics. That list includes two TLR users, 4x5 shooter, RZ, and two serious 35mm. We're out there, but with both high schools and college shutting down darkroom courses, where will people get their first whiff of fixer? I know my senior year at OSU they shut down the darkroom...every class was booked solid, but since the professor retired, they deemed it unworthy to hire someone to fill the gap.

My mentor told me 3 years ago that MF and LF will increase in price once again because so many serious amateurs sold their gear and went the DSLR route, only to be disappointed that they have more, but not better, photographs and would revert. I think he was right. I bought a Mamiya Press system for $150 in 2008 only to sell it for $450 two years later.
    K.S. Klain

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin