Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,665   Posts: 1,481,687   Online: 717

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mgb74 View Post
    I don't know if you are referring to John White (aiconversions.com) in the comment above, but the one conversion he did for me some years back was professional and worked just fine. That was my only experience with an AI conversion, short of the factory conversion that replaced the entire ring.

BTW, if you want to plug your business here, I would suggest at least becoming a subscriber, if not an APUG advertiser.
    John lives here in Ann Arbor and I had one done by him about 8 weeks ago. Works well and very reasonable.
    WYSIWYG - At least that's my goal.

Portfolio-http://apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=25518

Shooter
    35mm
    I didn't mean to sound nasty at all, but I do get a lot of "AI'd" lenses in that have problems. That's just a fact. One of the issues with some AI modification work, including John White's, is not relocating the meter prong so the foot faces forward and then trying to drape an ADR label over the foot of the prong. I machine the prong so that it has the correct light-admitting holes and then relocate it to face forward like an AI prong, thus allowing a clean space for ADR label, which is likely to last longer that way. Another problem is what I would call incomplete AI modifications that only cut a notch for the AI ridge, as advocated in Thomas Tomosy's Nikon repair book. I've also fixed a lot of chop jobs done at home following various instructions. I'd be willing to bet John White also does similar fixes. As it clearly states on my website, I don't do this as a full-time business. It's more of a service for folks who want to keep using that great old Nikkor glass on more modern cameras. And yes, my website needs lots of updating, but again, I'm not in it for the money, and the actual work takes priority over the website. I also hate to see great old Nikkors damaged by inadequate modfication efforts. Sorry if anyone took my original post in the wrong way. I was just trying to provide additional information.

William Sampson

Shooter
    Large Format
    Thanks for posting this, William. I've bookmarked your site.
    —Eric

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin