Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,952   Posts: 1,522,732   Online: 862

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm

Nikon Ai Conversions

Greetings,

In need of a Non Ai to Ai conversion. Anybody still offering this service that you could recommend.

Bill

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    This guy does an OK job:

http://www.aiconversions.com/

Shooter
    35mm
    probably get my head stomped on again but I'll say it again, in most cases you can get factory Ai for about the same as a conversion.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Except for the extreme scarcity of those rings and there were a number of lens series made for which Nikon did not supply conversion rings.
    Bob

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by fstop View Post
    probably get my head stomped on again but I'll say it again, in most cases you can get factory Ai for about the same as a conversion.
    Maybe if there's a parallel universe where it's 1980. Otherwise, no. Kits are usually only available, as noted, for the most common lenses--if at all. No head-stompin', either.

Shooter
    35mm
    I haven't paid more than 50 bucks for factory Ai glass on ebay.Sometimes the lens is on a body which I flip, in one case I got my lens and put a couple bucks back in my pocket after selling the body.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.3D View Post
    Greetings,

In need of a Non Ai to Ai conversion. Anybody still offering this service that you could recommend.

Bill
    How about DIY?
    http://www.chr-breitkopf.de/photo/aiconv.en.html

Shooter
    35mm
    Another member of this forum alerted me to this thread. I've been doing precision machined AI modifications for many years, successfully modifying hundreds of lenses for customers all over the world. Because I am new to this forum, the rules do not allow me to post a link, but if you google "Nikon AI modifications" you'll find my website. Unlike most camera repairmen who do this work by hand with files and Dremel tools and the like, I use a precision vertical milling machine for superior accuracy. Consequently, a significant part of my work is repairing previously "AI'd" lenses, including some done through the links previously posted in this forum. My modifications give Nikon non-AI lenses all the functionality of a Nikon AI conversion ring, including the "hog nose" meter pront, ADR numbers with white numbers on a black background and not draped over a meter prong foot, an EE tab, plus of course the fully functional AI indexing ridge. Please feel free to contact me directly with any questions and thanks for this opportunity to post here.

William Sampson

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by wdshpbiz View Post
    Consequently, a significant part of my work is repairing previously "AI'd" lenses, including some done through the links previously posted in this forum.
    I don't know if you are referring to John White (aiconversions.com) in the comment above, but the one conversion he did for me some years back was professional and worked just fine. That was my only experience with an AI conversion, short of the factory conversion that replaced the entire ring.

BTW, if you want to plug your business here, I would suggest at least becoming a subscriber, if not an APUG advertiser.
    "Far more critical than what we know or do not know is what we do not want to know." - Eric Hoffer

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    a significant part of my work is repairing previously "AI'd" lenses, including some done through the links previously posted in this forum.

That's just plain nasty. Besides, your site needs some love and a makeover.

Frankly, I don't care for any of these services. Either a flip-up Ai tab film body or AFS-only DSLR cuts you out of the deal.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin