Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,873   Posts: 1,520,165   Online: 997

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm

Viewing filter for assessing b/w?

I read somewhere (Ansel Adams' books, maybe), that one can take a filter, dark green(?), and get an idea of what a scene will look like in black and white, before they take the shot. Does such a thing exist, and what is the designation of the filter if it does exist?

Thanks to all who reply.

With best regards,

Stephen

Shooter
    Large Format

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I use a color filter to view a scene. I go through different colors and a polarizer to see which will give the best contrast range for that particular instance. If you don't spend alot of time looking through them you will get a good idea of what to expect.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum
    BTW: the big kid in my avatar is my hero, my son, who proudly serves us in the Navy. "SALUTE"

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I have a monochrome viewer. The filter is brown an swivels in a self contained metal case. It measures approx. 2in x 1 1/2in x 1/2in. I don't recall where I got it but it is different from the one in the B&H link.

http://www.jeffreyglasser.com/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I seem to recall mine was designated wratten 89.
    my real name, imagine that.

Shooter
    35mm
    get a digital that shoots in b&w and test filters

Shooter
    35mm
    fstop: Is there a dedicated b/w digital camera?

With best regards.

Stephen

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Mack View Post
    fstop: Is there a dedicated b/w digital camera?

With best regards.

Stephen
    There was the Kodak DCS 760M. Built on to a Nikon F5 platform. Reportedly there were only 80 manufactured.

Here are the specifications: http://www.kodak.com/global/en/profe...0M/specs.jhtml
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I've got a Logitech Fotoman FM-1 which, while it functions, has more flare than it used to have. I assume there was some outgassing which has obscured the sensor somewhat.

My roommate in college had a Wratten #90 that we used to carry, in its original package and when we wanted to view a scene we'd unwrap the foil and hold in the air. In that style, I finally got my own a few years back and I do the same thing, just unwrap to look and gingerly replace it in the foil.

There was a recent discussion that generally concluded these filters are not useful, but when I looked in my backyard, the jasmine bush literally popped out at me while in full color vision mode I barely noticed it from the background.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Zone VI made viewing filters for black and white. They had different ones with different ratio sizes to help you compose as well.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin