Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,716   Posts: 1,514,794   Online: 822
      
Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Nikon 80-200 D

  1. #1
    ChristopherCoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    The Armpit of Texas
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    1,190
    Images
    28

    Nikon 80-200 D

    Before I go attaching lenses to cameras, the 80-200 AF-D should work with my FM shouldn't it?

  2. #2
    CGW
    CGW is offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Posts
    2,798
    Quote Originally Posted by ChristopherCoy View Post
    Before I go attaching lenses to cameras, the 80-200 AF-D should work with my FM shouldn't it?
    Manual focus "feel" won't be quite the same as an mf zoom. It's almost worth getting a cheap AF body like an N90s or 801s.

    Does it have a tripod collar? Asking since there's more lens than camera with the petite FM.

  3. #3
    ChristopherCoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    The Armpit of Texas
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    1,190
    Images
    28
    It does have a tripod collar. It's the two ring version. I ask because it's the only non AFS lens we have.

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Shooter
    35mm
    Posts
    128
    The lens you cited is perfectly compatible with your FM. The 80-200/2.8 AFS ED-IF is equally compatible as it, too, has an aperture ring. It is the 'G' series of lenses that are incompatible due to the absence of an aperture ring. And any lens with the DX designation is a 'no-go'.

  5. #5
    Rol_Lei Nut's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Hamburg
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    1,118
    Quote Originally Posted by CGW View Post
    Manual focus "feel" won't be quite the same as an mf zoom. It's almost worth getting a cheap AF body like an N90s or 801s.
    Though focusing manually with standard AF focusing screens means it doesn't snap into focus very well.

    A mf body with a good screen/viewfinder will work much better for manual focusing.
    M6, SL, SL2, R5, P6x7, SL3003, SL35-E, F, F2, FM, FE-2, Varex IIa

  6. #6
    CGW
    CGW is offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Posts
    2,798
    Quote Originally Posted by Rol_Lei Nut View Post
    Though focusing manually with standard AF focusing screens means it doesn't snap into focus very well.

    A mf body with a good screen/viewfinder will work much better for manual focusing.
    And your point is? The 80-200AFD is wonderful on an AF body, more so than with a small MF body which the OP has. It will work OK on an FM.

  7. #7
    ChristopherCoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    The Armpit of Texas
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    1,190
    Images
    28
    Quote Originally Posted by Aja B View Post
    The lens you cited is perfectly compatible with your FM. The 80-200/2.8 AFS ED-IF is equally compatible as it, too, has an aperture ring. It is the 'G' series of lenses that are incompatible due to the absence of an aperture ring. And any lens with the DX designation is a 'no-go'.


    AH! Makes perfect sense. Thanks!

  8. #8

    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    North America just north of that sharp right turn North America makes on the Atlantic coast.
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    602
    Quote Originally Posted by Aja B View Post
    ............ And any lens with the DX designation is a 'no-go'.
    A DX lens will focus an image on the film, but you will have to crop it to get rid of the black corners, and I think all DX lenses are G lenses, not sure, so no aperture control with the G lenses either. I had to do this once, and while I got the look I was going for, it was too much of a pain in the long run.
    "Would you like it if someone that painted in oils told you that you were not making portraits because you were using a camera?"
    "Shouldn't it be more about the joy of producing and viewing the photo than what you paid for the camera?"

    Me

  9. #9
    Rol_Lei Nut's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Hamburg
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    1,118
    Quote Originally Posted by CGW View Post
    And your point is? The 80-200AFD is wonderful on an AF body, more so than with a small MF body which the OP has. It will work OK on an FM.
    The OP was asking about using that lens on a MF body. It's quite possible that the OP prefers focusing manually (there are many reasons for such a preference, just as AF also has it's uses), in which case the AF models you mentioned would probably not deliver the most accurate focusing.
    My "point" being that AF cameras are generally not an improvement over mf cameras for manual focusing, usually quite the opposite!
    M6, SL, SL2, R5, P6x7, SL3003, SL35-E, F, F2, FM, FE-2, Varex IIa



 

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:



Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin