Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,926   Posts: 1,585,077   Online: 878

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Can the FM3a fit the legendary nikon 8mm fisheye lens? and best wide lens for fm3a.

can it fit? a person is interested in selling and im quite keen but can it be used on a fm3a as ive heard from some locals that give uncertain opinions, some say can and some say no. i dont trust them and i see APUG forummers as a good concrete feedback to my questions

secondly, what is the best wide nikon lens to fit for the fm3a? im currently using the 50mm f1.8 Mark 3 Ai-s lens as my daily lens and im interested to look for something versatile and wider as a second lens for daily walks. some say the 35mm f2.8 lens is the best for wide as there is no distortion, not so sure is it true or not. what about the 28mm / 24mm and 20mm?

please advise

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Check out the lens reviews at www.nikonlinks.com

The 28/2.8 AIS is a very sweet lens.

Shooter
    Large Format
    This lens should work fine in the FM3a.

http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/8mm.htm

It’s the 7.5mm and 10mm OP fisheye lenses that have the long protruding rear units that require a mirror lockup body.

Shooter
    35mm
    There's no reason why this lens shouldn't work on your FM3a, as Ian C has already mentioned, it's only a selected few Nikon lenses which have an extended rear element which won't mount onto the body without locking up the mirror.

However, the Ken Rockwell website mentions problems viewing the meter when using this lens on the old FE and FE2, so I'm not honestly sure if the same would apply with the FM3a as I've never used this lens personally. Otherwise, mechanically the lens will work fine.

As for your other wide-angle lens choices, as you're already using the 50mm you may like to consider the 28mm as your next step and it is a nice sharp lens. You won't go wrong with any of them actually, it just depends on the type of photography you like to do.
    Carl.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Depends on what you mean by "best"...
    Best for what?

If you only have a 50mm, then a 24mm or a 28mm would probably fit best.
    Personally I love lenses around 20mm, but my "normal" lens is a 35mm.

Getting a 35mm alongside the 50mm probably isn't worth it: they aren't *that* different and it's usually either or...
    M6, SL, SL2, R5, P6x7, SL3003, SL35-E, F, F2, FM, FE-2, Varex IIa

Shooter
    35mm
    Ooh, I'd love to have the 8mm! Grays of Westminster have one for sale at £2995.
    Steve.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have a fish eye lens on my Canon FD cameras and I just love it.

Jeff

Shooter
    35mm
    What is the current currency of USD vs RM (Malaysian) ? If its USD 1 = Rm2.90 then the unit for sale at my country is only USD 2069.00

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks GCW, ur suggestions have been really sharp.

and Ian, i see.. noted~! thank you~!

Shooter
    35mm
    For a wide angle I'd suggest either the 24mm f2, or 20mm f2.8

Personally I prefer having the extra width of the 20mm, but the f2 24mm is sweet!

For more $$ you might consider the 15mm or 17mm, the 16mm fisheye is also excellent.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin