Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,047   Posts: 1,561,008   Online: 1053

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    A 300 from the beach is the minimum I would go for if you are looking to fill the frame. 75% of the breaks around here are beachies and don't require a lot of lens unless you want to get some angles. Places like pitas, rincon, and a few places down south probably would be better for something longer but that's where a 1.4 TC and some film with latitude could come in handy.

dude, eos-1n RS! do it!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by michaelbsc View Post
    OK, so when you tear this thing open it's got a 135 canister inside, not an aps?
    Yep 135.
    Mark Barendt, Beaverton, OR

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rphenning View Post
    A 300 from the beach is the minimum I would go for...

dude, eos-1n RS! do it!
    Haha! I did actually check out that camera - it looks pretty sweet. I've just never been a big Canon fan, I know that will make some people think I'm crazy, but it's just what it is...something about the ergonomics of the body don't quite fit my hand as good as Nikon and Minolta ones. But, honestly I've never held a EOS-1N RS, so you never know?

As far as the lens - sounds like there are definitely 2 styles - in the water and way close up with 24-35mm (would need a housing / Nikonos for that) or from the shore and 300mm+ .
    I will see what I can find in that 300mm area in my price range.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    @ RidingWaves - thank you! That was such a detailed post, lots for me to consider and think about that. I really appreciate you sharing all that here.
    Sincerely,
    Jed

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Hey great! Give it a go, you never know what you will get. Check out that Surfer's Journal, the non-traditional images that they run are highly respected in the wave riding community, and you may just snag a decent shot or two to submit. Surf was excellent over here today BTW.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by RidingWaves View Post
    Surf was excellent over here today BTW.
    I was out your way for vacation a month ago, my daughter and I took surfing lessons. My daughter could live very comfortably in the Haleiwa world, me too.

Trying to talk the wife into moving but that Colorado girl isn't into a dot of land in a big ocean.

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Yep, plenty of people get "rock fever" especially those that like to pack up and drive to another state for a weekend. The key is to develop a relationship with the ocean, do something that involves it: surfing paddling even just swimming, that way it seems like a playground and not a barrier. We have plenty of great hikes and mountains too, we had snow on Mauna Loa in May which was quite odd.
    Oh yeah, surf was good again today, dropping but excellent shape.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Going to work on getting Momma's baby there first, give Momma a reason to go there more often and get into all that fun.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Ahh, good plan. Drop me a note when you get over here.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Just wanted to say thanks to all again. I have decided on going the Maxxum 7 route for now, as that was my favorite body and I'm familiar with it, so will probably produce the best shots to start with. My father-in-law is going t send me his Minolta telephoto lenses to use for a while so I can decide what route to go from there before I purchase a lens myself.
    Thanks for all the tips.
    Jed

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin