Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 76,385   Posts: 1,683,149   Online: 924

Shooter
    Medium Format

Video Overview of Contax RX Posted

Hi all,

I have posted a two-part video overview of the Contax RX to youtube. The overview covers the features and operation of the camera. I hope it is helpful to those of you who have, or are interested in, this fine camera.

http://m.youtube.com/index?desktop_u...?v=K42g4r9Gtbw

http://m.youtube.com/index?desktop_u...?v=MAlmS_S7k8k
    Last edited by mathomas; 08-21-2011 at 04:08 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Many thanks for the informative review. Interesting to see how similar my Aria is to your RX. Maybe you'd find the Aria a bit too light?

BTW, the first video jams (with me) repeatedly at the point where you're talking about the 50mm f/1.7 that's on your RX.

The links don't work for me, but you're easy to find with the search function anyway.

Keep up the good work. I wouldn't mind seeing your reviews/opinions of the Zeiss lenses you own with this camera. (Or maybe that's in the part I can't see?)

Best, Sander

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The RX. The camera made to sell to doctors. .

Just kidding. I was rather sad to see the line discontinue. They had some elegant and well made cameras and of course some excellent lenses.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Good review of a great camera. The absence of mirrorslap makes the RX stand out from other Contax models. I have owned the RX and ST and still own 2 Aria's and 1 RTS III. The mirror damping of the RX was in a diiferent league compared to the other models. The other great feature is the AE-lock, but that is shared by the other models.

Jaap Jan

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thanks all of you for your thoughts. I love the RX so much I find myself wanting to get other models: the RTS (all marks), the ST, the S2. I probably will get one of those, if just to have a backup body.

Sorry about the bad links. I posted from my iPad, and youtube uses mobile URLs in that situation. Too bad it's too late for me to update the original post. Here are the better links:

Part I
    Part II

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by sandermarijn View Post
    Many thanks for the informative review. Interesting to see how similar my Aria is to your RX. Maybe you'd find the Aria a bit too light?

BTW, the first video jams (with me) repeatedly at the point where you're talking about the 50mm f/1.7 that's on your RX.

The links don't work for me, but you're easy to find with the search function anyway.

Keep up the good work. I wouldn't mind seeing your reviews/opinions of the Zeiss lenses you own with this camera. (Or maybe that's in the part I can't see?)

Best, Sander
    You're welcome! Sorry to hear you're having trouble with the first video. I just watched it and it seems OK (?). I do give my opinion on my current two lenses (50/1.7 and 28/2.8), right after your trouble spot . There are example photos, too (FWIW on video). Hopefully you will have better luck if you try again!

Thanks again...

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    The first video is doing fine now Mike, thanks.

The one thing I 'hate' about SLRs is mirror slap (and to a lesser extent the vf blackout time). Would you say that the RX is substantially better in this respect than say the Aria? Or can you compare to other SLRs you've worked with? It's a pity that it seems necessary that less mirror slap always means bigger/heavier camera.

Sander
    Last edited by sandermarijn; 08-23-2011 at 03:16 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: clarification

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I'd have to say the RX is the smoothest SLR I've handled, WRT mirror slap. I can't compare to the Aria, however, having never used one. The RX is a pretty heavy/dense camera, so that probably accounts for some of the damping. It's just hard for that little mirror to move that brick of a body .

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I did compare the Aria with the RX, and the RX is most certainly smoother wrt mirror-slap. If you get your hands on one and fire it you will be suprised...

Jaap Jan

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin