Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,696   Posts: 1,482,508   Online: 970

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 28 or 35mm?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    28MM AIS F-2
    50MM AIS f-1.4
    85MM AIS f-1.8
    " A loving and caring heart is the beginning of all knowledge " ~ Thomas Carlyle ~

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Pumalite View Post
    28MM AIS F-2
    I have the 28 f/2 (Ai), it's worth the extra cost.

I also have an earlier 35 1.4 (thorium glass vintage)
    It's not the greatest wide open but useable. It has a unique look at wider apertures thats for sure.

I have a 35 f/2 (Ais) and while good, it's nothing spectacular.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Nikkor 28/2.8 AIs is the best 28 Nikon ever made. Actually one of the best from anyone. Focuses very close, very low distortion, sharp edge to edge across the range.

The 35/1.4 is a fine lens that shines in existing light. A bit heavy when compared to a RF lens of the same speed.

If I could only have one wide lens on a SLR it would be the 28 AIs. If I could have two, it would bed one of them....

B2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    35mm is a bit too close to a 50mm
    (I happily use a 35mm *instead* of a 50mm)

That said, I find that the best of the Nikon 35s to be the f/2.0 (didn't really like either the 1.4 or the 2.8).
    Said 35mm f/2.0 is blown away by several Zeiss and Leica competitors, though I haven't tried the f/2.0 ZF lens, which would be the one you could use.
    M6, SL, SL2, R5, P6x7, SL3003, SL35-E, F, F2, FM, FE-2, Varex IIa

agw

Shooter
    35mm
    35 is so near to 50, that they can be exchanged as a "normal" lens - it just depends on how one is used to look at things.

IMO, the set 35/50/85 does not make much sense from the focal length spacing. 28 (or 24)/50/85 is much better (though I would prefer 105 over 85...). Alternative: sell 50, get 20/35/85 (20 as "true WA", 35 as "wide normal", 85 as "tele" - comes close to what kind of kit one would put on a Leica M, anyway).

I agree about the 28/2.8 Ai-S. Excellent lens, though at times not wide enough. However, served me well as my only WA for a couple of years. Later, I got by without a 50 for years - just 20-35 and 80-200, neither missing nor using that 50 much.

It depends on which meaning you want to give your wide angle lens, and how important the 50 "normal" field of view is for you. Wanna keep the 50 for it's FOV, you need a wide companion - get the 28 or 24 (or even 20, that's what I probably would do nowadays). Wanna get the 35 - sell 50, get something even wider, too.

Shooter
    35mm
    I used to have the 35/1.4 and I found it big and quite heavy. So much so that I tended to not use it. I like the 35mm perspective, I see it as a 'normal' focal length, more than the 50mm and if I was looking for a three lens set up I'd probably choose 24, 35, and 85.
    Steve.

Shooter
    35mm
    Tricky question. A 35mm makes a great standard lens but for street and documentary it's not always wide enough to give coverage and DoF. OTOH it has less distortion and subjects appear closer. I don't think there is an ideal lens, unless you're prepared to use a zoom and the 28-80 Nikon comes close if you need flexibility and compromise on maximum aperture.

My regular kit consists of 24mm 2.8 and a 50mm 1.4 on two SLR bodies. It's not perfect but covers most subjects.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I would go for the 28 and if possible go for the 24.

Jeff

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Mathematically, a 35 may look close to a 50, or a 28, but if you've been using all three focal lengths for a while you will start to see that they are quite different animals because each of them renders spatial *relationships* differently. There are very good photographers out there who use a 35 as a standard, a 50 as a tele, and a 28 as a wide.

As to whether to get a 28 or a 35, no one can decide but you. I don't think you would be disappointed by either.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaime Marin View Post
    Debating on wether getting a 28mm 2.8 nikon AIS or the 35mm 1.4 ais? I havent used either focal length. I currently have a 85mm ais and a 50mm ais and felt that the wider focal length complete my current setup. What are your guys' thoughts?
    Here's a link to a great resource http://www.naturfotograf.com/lens_wide.html

I currently carry 3 primes, 35mm f/2 Nikkor "O", 50mm f/1.4, 105mm 2.5 Gauss Type.

The 35 & 105 are the ones that get the most use by far.

I like the 50 on the camera, but actually find that I rarely switch to the 50 because a step or two puts the 35 right where I want the subject and regularly find the 50 a bit narrow for just bopping around.

I do like wider lenses on occasion and could probably be just as happy with a 28 in place of the 35 but that drive isn't enough to get me to spend money on a 28 I'd want (the 0.2 close focus version).
    Mark Barendt, Ignacio, CO

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin