Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,912   Posts: 1,556,249   Online: 1054

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Best nikon SB flash unit to pair with the FM3a

Hi guys, looking for a flash unit for my fm3a but dont rely know where and which one to start with as there is too many SB models in the market, any leads or suggestions?

thanks

Shooter
    35mm
    In Nikon brand I would think the most powerful (GN104) shoe mount TTL capable would be the SB16B. In a Nikon brand ringlight flash it would be the SB21B. There may be other more powerful newer model Speedlights or third party shoe mount/handle mounts out there.

Shooter
    35mm
    Depends on what you want to do flash-wise.

Personally, I think the SB-27 is a great value and works with virtually all Nikon film cameras (with conventional shoe), especially the MF models (though it has some AF capability). It's also compact.

It's not as well known as the more famous models so it can often be found at low prices. If you don't need high power or high end features, it's a good little flash.

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    SB-15 unless you need more power.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Personally I'm a fan of SB-24 for Nikon cameras that can do TTL- and A-modes like your FM3a. SB-24 is usually a bit cheaper than SB-25 which is another very good one.

More here: http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography...SB24/index.htm

Shooter
    35mm
    any of the sbs 24 to 28 should be fine. spring for the sb-28 and you can use the extra features for a more up to date camera you have

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    The SB-27 would certainly do. Problem is, the "Strobist" crew has driven up the prices of SB-24/25/26/28 speedlights; all nice flashes but often over-priced now. The SB-16 is old and not as flexible as the units listed above.

More here:
    http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography...f4/flash/SB27/

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks CGW! now the hunt is on for the flash on ebay

Shooter
    35mm
    There is nothing wrong with any of the suggestions made so far. In fact I often use an SB-27 with my FM3a. The Sb-27 is a good capable strobe, it's not too big, and it can usually be found for quite a bit less than the cost of an SB-24, 25, 26, or 28. However, there are times when I want something even more compact, so I'll toss out a couple more suggestions.

The SB-23 (GN66 in ft) is small low-profile strobe that works very well with the FM3a, and the SB-30 (GN 52 in ft) is even smaller, it is literally shirt-pocket size ... no bigger than a pack of playing cards. Both of these are basic no-frills TTL strobes, but there may be times when you value small over feature-laden.

Shooter
    35mm
    If them guys at strobist are driving up the price of older SB 24,25,26,28 then may be you can look into third party flashes. TTL on the FM3a is pretty basic and many third party unit would support it well. Check out older Metz, Sunpak etc...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin