Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,850   Posts: 1,582,856   Online: 747

Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 45678910111213 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by ic-racer View Post
    Mechanical Jewel? Kind of like a pipe wrench is a mechanical jewel? I always considered those classic Nikons to be heavy-duty tools
    Yeah when I go to hang a picture on the wall I pull out my trusty F to pound a nail into it.
    APUG: F, F/FTN,F2,F2A,F2AS,F3,F3HP,FA,FE,FM,FM2,FE2,XK,XM,XD, XD-5,XD-7,XD-11,XE,XE-5,XE-7,SRT101,SRT102,XG9,XG7,XG1,XG-SE,XG-M,X700,OM-1,OM-1n,OM-2,OM-2n,OM-4,F-1,F-1N,AE-1P,R5,500C/M,SCII
    DPUG:D100,D200,D300

Shooter
    35mm
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rthomas View Post
    My favorite mechanical 35mm camera, hands down, is the original Nikon F with the eye-level (non-metered) prism and a hand-held meter. There is nothing in the viewfinder except your image, and you see 100% of the view the lens sees. The F2 and FM2 have some improvements over the F, which may matter depending on your needs. They are also great cameras, but there's something classic and timeless about the F. Finding one with an eyelevel prism in good shape might be hard within the budget you stated but I am sure there are user bodies out there.
    Oh yes.

Akiva S.

Nikkormat FTN, Nikon F, Nikon FE, Leica M3

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kshapero/

My Blog

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    The F is pretty fantastic.
    www.EASmithV.com

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera."— Dorothea Lange
    http://www.flickr.com/easmithv/
    RIP Kodachrome

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by rthomas View Post
    My favorite mechanical 35mm camera, hands down, is the original Nikon F with the eye-level (non-metered) prism and a hand-held meter. There is nothing in the viewfinder except your image, and you see 100% of the view the lens sees. The F2 and FM2 have some improvements over the F, which may matter depending on your needs. They are also great cameras, but there's something classic and timeless about the F. Finding one with an eyelevel prism in good shape might be hard within the budget you stated but I am sure there are user bodies out there.
    I'm with rthomas. There's nothing like looking through the viewfinder of a meterless prism and all you see is what the lens sees and no other distractions. Kinda makes the viewfinder look "clean"

Shooter
    35mm RF
    minolta SR7 + 50 1.4..too late you got the Nikon...

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    ^Just remember to keep the camera in the case, otherwise, your batteries might go flat. That is, if we're talking about the original SR-7, the battery eater.

-J
    APUG: F2AS x2, F, FM2n, Nikomat FTn
    DPUG: D200
    Nikkors: 18-70/3.5-4.5G AF-S DX (f/D200), 20/3.5 UD, 24/2.8 AI, 50/2 AI, 50/1.4 AI, 50/1.4 S, 55/2.8 Micro AIS, 85/1.8 K, 135/3.5 QC

My FB - My flickr stream
    My SmugMug

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Oh, and, re: the original post, F2A with a DP-11. AI coupling, nearly bulletproof camera which can be configured to whatever you need...

-J
    APUG: F2AS x2, F, FM2n, Nikomat FTn
    DPUG: D200
    Nikkors: 18-70/3.5-4.5G AF-S DX (f/D200), 20/3.5 UD, 24/2.8 AI, 50/2 AI, 50/1.4 AI, 50/1.4 S, 55/2.8 Micro AIS, 85/1.8 K, 135/3.5 QC

My FB - My flickr stream
    My SmugMug

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Good morning;

It's true. Old threads never die.

I was surprised to see Craig Swensson's recommendation for the Minolta SR-7 with the ROKKOR 50mm/f:1.4 lens. I would have suggested the original big lens for the SR-7; the AUTO ROKKOR-PF 58mm f:1.4. The MC ROKKOR-PF 58mm f:1.4 will also work well. And, yes, I do agree that the original SR-7 should be kept in its case, as is suggested (without explanation) in the owner's manual. When kept in the dark, the built-in light meter battery lasts a very long time. But if you get any of the models with the Light Meter ON-OFF or ON-OFF-BC rotary switch on the bottom (the SR-7a, SR-7b, the SR-7v, or the SR-7s), that is not a problem. Unless you forget to turn it back off.

But he did say that he had purchased a Nikon F2A, as many had suggested. In any case, with a CLA, any of them will continue on for many years. And it does look like we will also have 35mm film to feed them.
    Enjoy;

Ralph Javins, Latte Land, Washington

When they ask you; "How many Mega Pixels you got in your camera?"
    just tell them; "I use activated silver bromide crystals tor my image storage media."

San Francisco, CA | Kuching, MY | Jakarta, ID
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    F's are classic no-nonsense/no-distraction. F2s are pretty much the same, but nicer advance feel and modern flip-back. F3 gets you aperture priority. I love 'em all.

My regular user (6422xxx serial, mfg. 1960), F + Nikkor-N Auto 35/1.4:

Wife, same camera/lens, Neopan 1600, XTOL 1+1:

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails photo.JPG   8620744287_8fdd63ee4f_h.jpg  
    Stop worrying about grain, resolution, sharpness, and everything else that doesn't have a damn thing to do with substance.

http://www.flickr.com/kediwah

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by clayne View Post
    F's are classic no-nonsense/no-distraction. F2s are pretty much the same, but nicer advance feel and modern flip-back. F3 gets you aperture priority. I love 'em all.

My regular user (6422xxx serial, mfg. 1960), F + Nikkor-N Auto 35/1.4:

Wife, same camera/lens, Neopan 1600, XTOL 1+1:

Both very pretty. :-)
    -----------------------

"Well, my photos are actually much better than they look..."

Richard S.
    Albany, CA (San Francisco bay area)

My Flickr River of photographs
    http://flickriver.com/photos/rich815...r-interesting/

My Photography Website
    http://www.lightshadowandtone.com

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin