Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 75,752   Posts: 1,670,680   Online: 1007

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 378910111213

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo Miranda View Post
    As you are a Canon man, you wouldn't know this one: the FE2, FA and some FM2 had Titanium shutters.
    The early FM and FE had metal shutters as you said.
    Titanium is a metal.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by E. von Hoegh View Post
    Titanium is a metal.
    Well, almost.
    I believe Ricardo simply followed Ben's terminology. I sure did.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    There's a nice f2 available in the classified right now. No connection to seller.
    My blog / photo website: http://frankfoto.jimdo.com/

Openly biased and unabashedly
    pro film and wet darkroom

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've owned an F, F2, and F3, and I've played with an FM2, the F is the only one I've kept. The F3 was nice I bought it in mint condition with a 50mm 1.4 and SB-16 speedlight and used it for several months last winter. I eventually decided I'd rather have something all mechanical, the F3 is now on permanent loan to a friend. I bought an F2 Photomic with 24mm 2.8, 50mm 1.4, and 135mm 3.5 non ai lenses a short time later. All in all I really liked the F2, but decided to focus more on medium format so I sold it and went back to using my RB67. About a month ago I decided I need at least 1 good 35mm slr so I bought a Nikon F with FTn head. The meter works but I prefer to meter by hand with my Gossen Luna Pro F. So far I couldn't be happier than I am with the F and the Nikkor H.C 50mm F2. Some would say the F is lacking compared to the F2 but really all I've given up is 1/2000 top speed, better mirror lockup on the F2, and 2-10 second shutter speeds. I honestly think I can live without them, plus I kind of like the removable back, and don't find it to be a pain like some do. The FM2 just felt cheap to me when compared to the F, and F2, just really not my style, I'm sure there excellant cameras but not for me. Plus I love good cheap non ai lenses, and stop down metering is not my thing.
    Mamiya 645/Mamiya-Sekor 80mm F=2.8C, Canon FTb/Canon 50mm F=1.4, Polaroid 450.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Les Sarile View Post
    By corrugated do you mean the honeycomb titanium shutters?
    Yup. that's the one. I've replaced a bunch of them with the later smooth blades. Usually it is only one of the curtains that need replacing; however, I would replace both of them. Apparently the blades would "whip", distort, of something similar due to the strong spring force exerted. The curtain travel time with those shutters was much faster than that of the FM and FE. It was about a 65$ repair. I didn't replace the whole shutter.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Actually, I've repaired many more mechanical than electrical problems in my 25 years as a camera technician.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by cmo View Post
    For some. Finding a mechanic for a Contarex gets a bit difficult, but that's due to a lack of spare parts. Finding a mechanic is simple. Finding a good mechanic is not too difficult. Finding a mechanic who is ready to repair a camera for a price below the market value of many cameras is difficult, but that's not the problem of a lack of mechanics. Many popular cameras like the Canon A1, AE-1 etc., many Minoltas and Pentaxes like the ME/MX, many Olympus OM cameras and many more are simply too cheap to get a repair. I can buy a working, serviced Canon A1 for 20-50 Euros, and that often includes 1-2 lenses. What if it fails? Repairing it is a waste of money, most people say. There is not a lack of mechanics, there is a lack of demand for time-consuming and cost-intensive repairs.

For cameras with a higher market value like Nikons, Leicas and Rolleiflex cameras I can choose from a long list of repair shops. Some are better, some are not so good, and I think they will survive because people are ready to pay an acceptable price for a Leica M CLA or similar jobs.
    I don't know what the exchange rate between euros and dollars is, but my average charge for the cameras you mentioned was $45 USD or less.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by miha View Post
    Well, almost.
    I believe Ricardo simply followed Ben's terminology. I sure did.
    Surely you jest...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Titanium

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 378910111213

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin