Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,856   Posts: 1,582,997   Online: 1094

Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast
    CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by fstop View Post
    Thats why F2's are bringing so much more money than Fs.

No battery issues.
    Not to mention the early Fs being 50+ years old.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The battery issue (which is actually a blessing in disguise, IMHO) is easy to solve. 1) Take the batteries out and take them to a hazardous waste disposal center. 2) Expose using more accurate methods than an in-camera reflected meter. 3) As you print your negatives, thank yourself for doing yourself a huge favor.

I have done the 475-in-a-washer battery mod just as backup, since it is so easy and cheap. But the times I have actually flipped the meters on and used them can probably be counted from memory.

Wein Cells are a joke. They are slightly-modified 10 cent hearing aid batteries in a fancy package, marked up several thousand percent.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by CGW View Post
    Not to mention the early Fs being 50+ years old.
    whats wrong with being 50+ years old? I'm 50+... oh I see your point.

Shooter
    35mm
    F2

cmo
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by fstop View Post
    whats wrong with being 50+ years old? I'm 50+... oh I see your point.
    How are your light seals? I think I need a CLA soon

BTW, especially the more professional cameras built between the mid 50s and the mid 80s can be serviced in most cases. The more electronics the more trouble, and finding a repair shop ready to service the viscus of more modern cameras can be impossible.
    The future belongs to the few of us still willing to get our hands smell like fixing bath.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    F2

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by cmo View Post
    How are your light seals? I think I need a CLA soon

BTW, especially the more professional cameras built between the mid 50s and the mid 80s can be serviced in most cases. The more electronics the more trouble, and finding a repair shop ready to service the viscus of more modern cameras can be impossible.
    Repair resources for any film camera are getting scarce. Puzzled why people believe there's an abundance of tech savvy for mechanical camera repair--if anything, the opposite is true.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Funny how the conversation turns from looking for a mechanical beast of a camera that is super reliable and can be used as a hammer to considering part options and locating a good repair shop.
    Like a buying a vintage car you'll want to know if there is a good mechanic nearby before you commit.
    Reliability may be elusive but it can be more than worth it if you enjoy a certain "driving" experience. At least that is what I tell my wife.

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by erikg View Post
    Funny how the conversation turns from looking for a mechanical beast of a camera that is super reliable and can be used as a hammer to considering part options and locating a good repair shop.
    Like a buying a vintage car you'll want to know if there is a good mechanic nearby before you commit.
    Reliability may be elusive but it can be more than worth it if you enjoy a certain "driving" experience. At least that is what I tell my wife.
    I recall part of that "driving experience" was being on first name terms with every tow truck driver on my end of town. Too many around here tout oldies as inherently superior with no discussion of the huge PITA they can be when they break. Bizarre.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Human nature. People want things for all sorts of reasons that they don't like to admit, sometimes not even to themselves. Practicality gets trotted out, legendary build etc. Nothing really practical about a non-functioning meter or a back that comes off or uneven frame spacing or whatever. Can be fun though. This coming from a guy who shoots with Graflex reflexes. I know PITA.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin