Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,713   Posts: 1,483,014   Online: 691

Page 1 of 11 1234567 ... LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Mechanical jewel, which one? Nikon F2, F, FM2 etc or No Nikon?

Hi all,

I want to buy another camera.... Again the Last one.....
    I want to buy a strong reliable camera to take shoot with for many and many time.
    My choice is going to Nikon F2A (with DP-11) and not F2AS (with DP-12) cause the first uses needle and not leds.
    I want to shoot with a rellay mechanical jewel, can you give me any other suggestion?
    My budget is 300€ max, Every suggestion is welcome.
    Thanks in advance

Denny

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I'd get the newest possible: look for a late model FM2n in the best possible condition. Whatever anyone says about their legendary durability, F2 bodies are getting very elderly and often need lesscompetent(and pricey) service. Too many age-related problems for the $ unless you're looking at a mint or very lightly used example--which most aren't.
    Last edited by CGW; 08-23-2011 at 09:20 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Olympus OM-1n? I don't think "jewel" when pick up an F2, but they are very solid. Sounds like a good choice, plenty to be had. Find a good one and enjoy.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    An F2 is a good choice for a camera that can probably be kept going forever. Look for a plain-prism model, although there is nothing that keeps a kaput metering prism from being used for viewing. There are several services that specialize in overhaul/repair of F2's http://www.soverf2repair.webs.com/

F2s in pristine shape go for quite a premium and will likely blow your Eu300 budget.
    DARKROOM AUTOMATION
    f-Stop Timers - Enlarging Meters
    http://www.darkroomautomation.com/da-main.htm

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas Lindan View Post
    An F2 is a good choice for a camera that can probably be kept going forever. Look for a plain-prism model, although there is nothing that keeps a kaput metering prism from being used for viewing. There are several services that specialize in overhaul/repair of F2's http://www.soverf2repair.webs.com/

F2s in pristine shape go for quite a premium and will likely blow your Eu300 budget.
    Problem is, Wong's "standard" service alone would eat up over 1/2 the OP's budget.

Shooter
    35mm
    why not go for the f3 over the f2

Shooter
    35mm
    My favorite mechanical 35mm camera, hands down, is the original Nikon F with the eye-level (non-metered) prism and a hand-held meter. There is nothing in the viewfinder except your image, and you see 100% of the view the lens sees. The F2 and FM2 have some improvements over the F, which may matter depending on your needs. They are also great cameras, but there's something classic and timeless about the F. Finding one with an eyelevel prism in good shape might be hard within the budget you stated but I am sure there are user bodies out there.

Shooter
    35mm
    'I want to buy a strong reliable camera...' To ensure reliability you should plan on having a 20-40 year old camera serviced, pronto, if it hasn't been lately. I like the F2 idea. If wanting a more modern (reliable out of the box) camera, perhaps an FM3a.

Shooter
    35mm
    I am in the line of rthomas that suggests to me a Nikon F instead going to a F3 that has so much elecronic inside I can say.
    If you know also something of other brands.... Thanks a lot for the moment

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Not to be snarky, but I wonder if one of these days we can compile a list of pros and cons to the Nikon series and just make it a sticky.
    K.S. Klain

Page 1 of 11 1234567 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin