Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,761   Posts: 1,516,086   Online: 920

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Nikon 50mm f/1.8 D

I just bought this brand new lens, and I am not sure if I have a lens problem or a camera problem.

I have two cameras in question, a F601 and a D200. It works flawlessly on the D200, but who cares... On the F601, it focuses fine. The stops all appear correctly in the display. The film constantly comes out way over exposed.

I put the F601 in manual - speed Bulb. I bring the stop down to 1.8 and look through the camera. The iris appears completely open. I stop down to 22 and the iris looks as closed as it should.

I have had this F601 for years and works fine for all my other lens.

Any ideas?

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Do you have access to any purge D series lens you can test with?

B2

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by mrred View Post
    I just bought this brand new lens, and I am not sure if I have a lens problem or a camera problem.

I have two cameras in question, a F601 and a D200. It works flawlessly on the D200, but who cares... On the F601, it focuses fine. The stops all appear correctly in the display. The film constantly comes out way over exposed.

I put the F601 in manual - speed Bulb. I bring the stop down to 1.8 and look through the camera. The iris appears completely open. I stop down to 22 and the iris looks as closed as it should.

Check any dialed-in exposure comp. setting
    I have had this F601 for years and works fine for all my other lens.

Any ideas?
    Check your exposure comp. settings?

Your iris should stay open when you adjust aperture if the lens is on the body unless you're doing so with the DOF button depressed.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have almost the same exact setup which I used before I went all manual focus. Nikon F601 with 50mm 1.8 AF-D. You can try and unmount the lens, and take out the camera batteries, then flick the power switch on and off to cycle out any remaining power. then remount, making sure its aperture is set on F22. Then check your ISO setting to see if its manual or DX, and set appropriately. Then switch the shooting mode to P (M or A try both) and shoot another test roll. good luck

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BillBingham2 View Post
    Do you have access to any purge D series lens you can test with?

B2
    I'm not sure what that is. Can you elaborate?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by CGW View Post
    Check your exposure comp. settings?

Your iris should stay open when you adjust aperture if the lens is on the body unless you're doing so with the DOF button depressed.
    Exposure comp was the first thing that came to mind. Nope.

I looked through the back with the door open. Sorry, I guess I should have stated that..

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Newt_on_Swings View Post
    I have almost the same exact setup which I used before I went all manual focus. Nikon F601 with 50mm 1.8 AF-D. You can try and unmount the lens, and take out the camera batteries, then flick the power switch on and off to cycle out any remaining power. then remount, making sure its aperture is set on F22. Then check your ISO setting to see if its manual or DX, and set appropriately. Then switch the shooting mode to P (M or A try both) and shoot another test roll. good luck
    That's a good suggestion. I also use rechargeables, so I will use a freshly charged one too.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin