Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,283   Posts: 1,535,019   Online: 1079

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by frobozz View Post
    Even losing the crank is no problem - a new one is only $4!

http://www.freestylephoto.biz/121210...nly?cat_id=703

Duncan
    I did not know that but it is good to know!

I keep the crank in the little bin where the film cartridge being loaded goes. Take it out when loading, back in when done. So far so good but it's good to know another is four bucks (on the next Freestyle order, given shipping and minimums) away.

In spite of all the comments now and in the past about the felt light trap, it is under the little cover and stays covered except briefly when loading. I think you'd just about have to TRY to get it dirty and scratch film. I've loaded several 100' spools worth and never ever seen a film scratch from it.

Shooter
    35mm
    I like the Lloyd... I will probably buy another one some time to be able to load two different films easily. I don't have mine for very long yet (loaded about 15 films), but so far it's great.
    Losing the crank may be a problem, but since I usually don't load film in the middle of the forest, it's not that hard to find it again
    It's built very solidly (there's nothing that could break in this thing) and not having a frame counter is no problem at all for me. I only load rolls of 24 frames (24 turns) and keep a list of how much I took from the current roll. There are about 30 loads from one 30,5m bulk roll, so I know when it's about time to get a new one.

The only problem, I see is attaching the film to the spool. If you pull it out far enough to be easily attached, you may pre-expose part of the last frame. You've got to be careful with that, but I guess other film loaders haven't solved this problem either.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Got it in today - rolled a 36 exp roll of Kentmere 400 to try. Two new experiments: a new film and a new way of getting film into my camera. Hopefully it'll work out!

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Try a changing bag.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by laser View Post
    Try a changing bag.
    For what? Surely you're not suggesting winding film from a bulk roll on to 35mm cartridges manually in a changing bag as a viable alternative to a bulk loader?

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I sure wouldn't manually bulk load carts in a changing bag!

But if you're really worried about that light-struck last little bit of film near the spool, you could always do your bulk loading in a changing bag using a bulk loader, and never open the little door in the light...

Duncan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've had moths attack the Lloyd's light trap felt - might want to keep it in a plastic bag with a few moth balls if you aren't going to be using it for a year or more. But when I was using them heavily I never had any scratching problem with the Loyd's felt causing scratching.

I now have an Alden, but as I have several bulk rolls of specialty films that I use infrequently I just unspool a few feet and wind it by hand in to a Nikon AM1 or tape it to the stub of a used Kodak cassette.

I might order a handle, though, as it would make loading onto a Kodak cassette a bit easier on the fingers.
    DARKROOM AUTOMATION
    f-Stop Timers - Enlarging Meters
    http://www.darkroomautomation.com/da-main.htm

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I would get either the Alden 74 or Watson 100. The Lloyd's uses a felt light trap that collects dust and will scratch your film..

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by leicarfcam View Post
    I would get either the Alden 74 or Watson 100. The Lloyd's uses a felt light trap that collects dust and will scratch your film..
    Bullc...er, patties.

Yes, it uses a felt light trap. Does the felt on your factory 35mm cartridges scratch your film? I've NEVER seen a scratch from the felt.

EDIT: In case it isn't clear, I'm not denying that it theoretically COULD (flaming monkeys could also fly out...) I'm just disagreeing strongly with the statement that it WILL. Used one a lot, never had a problem. Others here have the same experience.
    Last edited by Roger Cole; 08-27-2011 at 11:25 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by frobozz View Post
    I sure wouldn't manually bulk load carts in a changing bag!

But if you're really worried about that light-struck last little bit of film near the spool, you could always do your bulk loading in a changing bag using a bulk loader, and never open the little door in the light...

Duncan
    Ah, I guess that's what the other poster meant. Sure wasn't clear to me from the terse post, though.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin