Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,692   Posts: 1,548,952   Online: 791

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

Lloyds bulk loader

Has anyone used this loader? I'm thinking of getting one, since it's available new on Freestyle for $25. Any opinions?

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I was looking at one too a my old bulk loader needs a real darkroom. Have not had my hands on one.

Any one have one our one of the others out there?

I did figure that I could buy new TriX cheaper than I could load it for the first role. PlusX is another thing altogether.

B2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    My first bulk loader was a Lloyds. I still have it, but I find the Alden 74 to be easier to use and more accurate. I got my Aldens on eBay for approx. $15 plus shipping.
    Bob Walberg

The fix is in!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    They're about as basic as they come. If you can count and follow simple instructions you're all set. You load the 100ft roll in the the darkroom or changing bag after that you can work in the light. Just don't get any grit in the felt light trap. I don't think the design has changed much in the 50 years.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by George Nova Scotia View Post
    They're about as basic as they come. If you can count and follow simple instructions you're all set. You load the 100ft roll in the the darkroom or changing bag after that you can work in the light. Just don't get any grit in the felt light trap. I don't think the design has changed much in the 50 years.
    +1.

I use one. I prefer it because it's simple, foolproof, and wastes less film leader than most designs. But as someone said it is not as precise as far as the frame count. You just count number of turns on the crank and use a chart on the loader that shows so many frames per turn. As you wind film on the spool of film in the cartridge gets thicker so each turn winds more frames than the earlier turns, so it isn't a simple ratio.

Given the price of bulk rolls now though, I'm not sure there's a lot of point in it. I bought a 100' roll of Freestyle rebranded Tri-X before the price went up so I got some cheap Tri-X, but given they sell it in their own cartridges for barely more I'm not sure it's worth the hassle. It was in the old days though, and more so with color. As far as I know there are no color films available in bulk anymore, other than cine films that some people buy.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I roll my film in the bathroom, at night, in the dark. I pull out a little more than both my arms outstreched, snip, and tape it to the mini leader from photolab discards and roll it back in. Maximizes your film as your end isnt exposed. I get ~36 exposures a roll, give or take a frame. Loaders are handy, but I have had one where the side popped open, or the little door slid open by accident while open. =[

I roll 1000ft, 400ft, and 100ft rolls of film this way.

Shooter
    Sub 35mm
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by walbergb View Post
    My first bulk loader was a Lloyds. I still have it, but I find the Alden 74 to be easier to use and more accurate. I got my Aldens on eBay for approx. $15 plus shipping.
    i have one too
    never had problems with it
    basic and works well ..
    just done loose the crank

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Newt_on_Swings View Post
    I roll my film in the bathroom, at night, in the dark. I pull out a little more than both my arms outstreched, snip, and tape it to the mini leader from photolab discards and roll it back in. Maximizes your film as your end isnt exposed. I get ~36 exposures a roll, give or take a frame. Loaders are handy, but I have had one where the side popped open, or the little door slid open by accident while open. =[

I roll 1000ft, 400ft, and 100ft rolls of film this way.
    The "little door" on a Llyod's can pop open, is in fact opened in room light. The side is held on with that big red piece, essentially a giant nut. It's pretty foolproof and simple. Just keep the felt clean and as said above, don't lose the crank.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jnanian View Post
    i have one too
    never had problems with it
    basic and works well ..
    just done loose the crank
    Even losing the crank is no problem - a new one is only $4!

http://www.freestylephoto.biz/121210...nly?cat_id=703

Duncan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have used the Lloyd bulk film loader and I have used the Burke & James Watson model 100 bulk film loader. Both have advantages and disadvantages.

Lloyd pros:
    Smaller size than Watson
    Does not wastes film by producing a long leader
    Does not waste film by producing a long trailer
    Harder to accidentally expose 100-feet of film

Lloyd cons:
    No frame counter; must count winder rotations for frame count
    Uses felt for light trap; felt may trap particles that scratch film
    Cannot load Nikon AM-1 film cassettes for Nikon F2 camera

Watson pros:
    Has frame counter
    Does not use felt for light trap; therefore, film is less susceptible to scratching
    Can load Nikon AM-1 film cassettes for Nikon F2 camera

Watson cons:
    Larger size than Lloyd
    Wastes film by producing a long leader
    Wastes film by producing a long trailer
    Easier to accidentally expose 100-feet of film (I have done this once)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/11336821@N00/6080915144/
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_3589b sml.JPG  
    Last edited by narsuitus; 08-25-2011 at 05:51 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin