Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,972   Posts: 1,558,666   Online: 1037

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by CGW View Post
    Why bother posting if you don't own an F3 and don't have a clue?

Why sweat it? It's called conversation. Besides, he was responding to and expanding on a prior post.

The OP can follow up if he wants on the possibility that a modified one would work.

In a thread here on APUG a while back, someone claimed that the F/F2 screens can be remounted in an F3 frame and work. I've heard claims that F/F2 screens can work with modification to or repositioning in their own frame, but I don't know because I haven't tried it.
    Maybe after reading that, the OP will think it's worth a try. If he does try it, he can tell us how it worked out, and it adds to our collective knowledge base.
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    ...and it adds to our collective knowledge base.

That's my point. Hearsay and OT chatter don't do much for the site's knowledge base--or cred. Sorry.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    ...and it adds to our collective knowledge base.

That's my point. Hearsay and OT chatter don't do much for the site's knowledge base--or cred. Sorry.
    Did you miss the part where the knowledge base would be added to by investigating the possibility that modification was necessary? In contrast to what you said in your prior post, Rol_Lei Nut did have a clue-he said he had always heard that something had to be modified. He passed along that "clue" as possible means to a solution.

As for the issue of OT chatter: you started this little line of off-topic chatter, and it's far more destructive to the site's cred and to the tone of conversation on it than someone posting possibly valid information with the warning that they have no first-hand knowledge of its validity.

Rol_Lei Nut was just trying to be helpful.

I guess you are also trying to be helpful, but it's more distracting than anything else. What you are objecting to is a small issue, and to me and I'm sure many others, no issue at all. Considering the post to which you were responding, I think the tone in your first post is a much more valid issue than the occasional comment or suggestion based on hearsay.
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    "What you are objecting to is a small issue, and to me and I'm sure many others, no issue at all."

Notwithstanding the fact the screens aren't interchangeable and won't fit without some undisclosed modification. Sure, I guess that's immaterial. Fine by me!

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Bob-D659 above very helpfully posted this link that shows how the F3 screens fit and the lip mentioned. F/F2 screens don't resemble them--whatever the box colour.

http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography...eens/index.htm

Shooter
    35mm
    an entertaining chat you guys are having here...

the screen pictured is for F2

ps. as for "the other topic"--i tried swapping between F2 and F3, both complete frames and just the sandwich between the frames. x and y fit is workable; what i never got to trust was z. swapped between frames one ground surface protrudes ever so slightly lower from the frame than the other. i was getting strangely misfocused shots, two or three per roll, perhaps the screens were rattling a bit loose... whatever it was i didn't investigate, it was just a little curiosity detour anyway

Shooter
    Multi Format
    F/F2 screens are swappable. Neither fit the F3. Hearsay isn't reliable.
    Actually, they do "fit", I have both cameras and have tried it. The missing notch on the front edge of the F screen means the spring loaded pin in the F3 won't hold it in place. Whether the fit (Z axis) is close enough for the F screen to be in the proper focal plane in the F3 is a whole different matter.
    Bob

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks all, I guess I'll keep looking for the F3 version instead of taking my chances with a loose screen inside the camera lol.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Have you read this thread about changing screen frames?

http://www.apug.org/forums/forum52/7...ng-screen.html
    Bob

Shooter
    35mm

Found an F3 H2 focusing screen in an auction box yesterday.

HI there,
    I was searching the internet to figure out what I found in an auction box yesterday and it appears to be what you are looking for. It is in a gold box and lists Nikon F3 focusing screen. The item itself has H 2 Nikon Japan printed on the side in red ink. It appears to be scratch free and is in the original box. Let me know if you are still looking for one.

Thanks!

Laurie

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin