Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,691   Posts: 1,482,386   Online: 708

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    All the ones that look good but do not function, leaving the functional ones for those of us that shoot them.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum
    BTW: the big kid in my avatar is my hero, my son, who proudly serves us in the Navy. "SALUTE"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    collect other thing like post cards, cameras were made to take pictures, do not be one of those who are incresing second hand market value for the sake of putting excellent cameras in your shelfs.
    vive la resistance!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Of course no one here will admit to being a collector but the reality is almost every film camera user is a collector to some degree nowadays. It's hard not to buy a camera when you find it ridiculously cheap somewhere. I would vote for finding and using if at all possible the really strange cameras. As far as MF cameras to collect- I would look for a Koni-Omega because of it's unique handling attributes and strange look. Using it in practice is not something I can subject myself too, but it sure is cool in theory.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by anm View Post
    My advice would be to leave the cameras to those of us who want to take photographs, rather than have them collect dust in a collection!
    +1
    Collecting cameras for collecting's sake is something I just don't understand and it drives the prices up for those who just want to take photos. It's your decision, though... if you really want to be a collector, don't let us stop you. I have a little "collection" myself, but I never bought anything I didn't plan to use. I don't need several mechanical SLRs, but I do need a compact 35mm viewfinder, one mechanical and one electronic 35mm SLR and one MF SLR. If I could afford it, I'd have a LF view camera too, but I'd use every one of those regularly.

And which ones are inevitable depends completely on your taste and what kind of collection you'd like. Leica and Hasselblad are pretty high on the list for their iconic status and great build quality. Some people like to collect every variation of a single camera or everything from a single brand, others just like to have as many different types and brands as possible.
    As a little tip: Just go to every flea market, car boot sale, and so on and see what you like. Some prefer Leicas, some prefer the Argus C series or all the high end Canon EOS. Your Choice.

Personally, I really like all the cameras from Dresden/Germany, where I live. It was the camera-capital of Europe for many years and there are some really nice cameras and lenses, especially from Pentacon (not to be confused with the Pentagon ). They're probably a little hard to get on the other side of the big lake, though.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I like my Canon F-1.

Jeff

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    If you're going to just be putting them on a shelf and showing them off, you're not doing yourself any good because you're not using them, and you're not doing us any good because you're shrinking the secondhand market with each one you collect. But if you're going to actually use them, any working one is fine.

I prefer Pentax cameras, especially the K1000; they're cheap, easy to find, the lenses are pretty good, and I can find broke ones on that auction site to use as parts cameras whenever the two that I use frequently need doctoring
    "Gotta little problem with personal space, and I've been pounding the Jager. My breath and behavior have been driving the patrons away" -"Whipped Cream" by Ludo

My photography blog: http://silver-light0.blogspot.com/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Existing Light View Post
    I prefer Pentax cameras, especially the K1000; they're cheap, easy to find, the lenses are pretty good, and I can find broke ones on that auction site to use as parts cameras whenever the two that I use frequently need doctoring

btw, the same thing can be said for pretty much any camera comparable to the K1000
    "Gotta little problem with personal space, and I've been pounding the Jager. My breath and behavior have been driving the patrons away" -"Whipped Cream" by Ludo

My photography blog: http://silver-light0.blogspot.com/

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Real collections are driven by passion, interest and scholarship--and they focus on specific areas. Do you really want to start buying a bunch of random cameras in every format? If you're going to be using the cameras--they should meet your needs and give you pleasure in use. There's a collector or a user for every camera ever made, so the trick is figuring out exactly what excites you.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bblhed View Post
    The perfect collection should include cameras that you shoot
    Every camera in my collection is usable and was bought with the intention of using it. If I find I'm not using something, it usually gets given away.

Just collect cameras which you like for some reason (look, feel, sentimental reasons, etc) and try to get a working example.

Steve.

Shooter
    35mm
    I don't see why they wouldn't do both! Build a collection and hopefully use them as well!! yummy
    I like my Nikon N75. N80 is a close model. Love my Olympus, too... I could never afford Hasselblad or Leica, but I understand they are the quality.
    Oh, my - so much to choose from... But yes - build a collection nice to look at as well as use it.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin