Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,296   Posts: 1,535,707   Online: 920

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Roberts View Post
    I think some of the criticism of people who buy cameras as collectors' pieces is a little misplaced. For the kinds of cameras that are likely to be potential users, there are plenty to go around. As for driving up prices, again for the cameras likely to be used regularly, I'm not convinced that's the case. It may be true for a pristine, boxed Leica M3, but then who would buy that to take it out and get it dusty and wet anyway? Taking the longer view, come the day when all the users have been used, the collectors' cabinets can then be plundered for examples that have been kept in suspended animation! For most cameras that we'd likely want to take out and shoot with, we're hardly talking mortgage money.

To return to the OP's question (which was only seeking advice on cameras he should have, not whether he should be collecting in the first place!) I'll throw in another - the Zenit E. Though no great shakes specification-wise, it provided a first step into the world of SLR photography for many teenagers like myself in the 1970s who couldn't afford a Pentax and wanted to move upmarket from something like a Halina Paulette.

Steve
    Exactly

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I collect analog cameras, but not because of their brands, so I don't care about rising prices ; I buy any old camera that seems good looking, is functional and offered for a ridiculous prize ; and I use them to take pictures !

For instances of cameras that (I bought in spite of no particular reputation among collectors, and thus) got for peanuts :
    a Konica AutoReflex T(2) which shutter was blocked (unblocked in 5 minutes)
    a Miranda Auto Sensorex EE
    a Rodenstock Citonette 645 folder (dated 1930s) with a 2,9/75mm Trinar Anastigmat and a Compur shutter.
    etc.

I especially love (and use often) the Citonette, because of its compactness, and in spite of its "simple" and uncoated lens, I enlarge its pictures (in my "wet" lab) up to 30x40cm² and shot color negs too (which I scanned and printed A3+).

Bye Paul

Shooter
    35mm
    Collecting vintage cameras is one of the factors that helps to keep film photography
    alive. Camera collections help maintain camera values and thus their general
    value as viewed by the public and they also help create interest in film photography
    in people who would not otherwise be aware of its merits. Many people are
    inspired to try film photography by seeing a collection of vintage cameras. The
    more this occurs, the more demand for film is created and we all know what that
    means.

Put a fine vintage camera in someone's hand and it often blows their mind --
    few products made today compare with their obvious quality and charm. Seeing
    and touching them often makes people want to use them.

Just as museums of all types help keep public interest alive in various fields, the
    same is true of vintage camera collections. Collecting vintage cameras is good
    for all of us.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    A question for US members: did many Zenits and Prakticas make it to the States in the 60s & 70s, or did the their communist origins prevent their being freely sold there?
    Steve
    Can't speak for the early to mid '60s as I don't remember them.....I was too young. But I did see Prakticas over here (Rochester NY) as a very low cost camera on the late '60s and mid '70s.

B2

Shooter
    35mm

Cameras COLLECTION....

I am happy to see such a lot of reply to this thread and I want to clarify that talking about collection I intend a number of cameras to collect and to use of course.....
    Maybe some of them to collect and not use for some reasons....
    I want to share which cameras are good to use, which are simply milestones on camera evolution etc.... Which is your most-appreciated camera.
    And I would like to limit this to analog non-AF cameras, 35 or MF or LF or rangefinder and whatelse.

For example I think that EXAKTA Varex 2a or 2b is a MUST HAVE camera (to use of course) cause is a great mechanical object.... I completely disassemble some of that and I did appreciate the way it is constructed. Using it you can feel the sensation of past times....

Bye to all

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by BobD View Post
    Collecting vintage cameras is one of the factors that helps to keep film photography
    alive. Camera collections help maintain camera values and thus their general
    value as viewed by the public and they also help create interest in film photography
    in people who would not otherwise be aware of its merits. Many people are
    inspired to try film photography by seeing a collection of vintage cameras. The
    more this occurs, the more demand for film is created and we all know what that
    means.

Put a fine vintage camera in someone's hand and it often blows their mind --
    few products made today compare with their obvious quality and charm. Seeing
    and touching them often makes people want to use them.

Just as museums of all types help keep public interest alive in various fields, the
    same is true of vintage camera collections. Collecting vintage cameras is good
    for all of us.
    I agree and would add that someone needs to own the cameras up for sale,its better that a collector have a camera in storage than an indifferent owner simply tossing it in a closet.The reason prices on film cameras is dropping is that there aren't enough buyers willing to cough up the dough for a film camera.
    I collect certain cameras as an investment that won't get used or used very little under controlled conditions,but I also buy inops and repair them to use.
    The story has been repeated time and time again, "this was my fathers camera, he left it to me, I have no use for it..." and bingo you're the owner of a mint F3HP with case lens filters... for under $150 or a Mint- F2AS for 250.
    As long as those deals come up I'm buying them, I'm not stopping because I already have one.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    ... did many Zenits and Prakticas make it to the States in the 60s & 70s?
    I was unlucky enough to start my camera collection with a Zenit, rebranded by Kalimar in the states. Within a year it was the start of my parts collection of springs, curtain rollers and screws. Yesterday I found the pentaprism in a junk box.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I suggest not collecting usable cameras. It will drive the prices up for those that actually shoot them, and will be a complete waste of the cameras' abilities. The thing about cameras is that even old ones are still extremely useful in every day shooting, and very high in quality compared to today's cameras.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I am primarily a camera user – not a collector. Therefore, I am unable to answer your question. However, for photo classes that I teach, I have accumulated the following small collection of mostly non-functional cameras that I use to demonstrate the variety that is available.

Large format
    Medium format
    Small format
    Box camera
    Folding camera
    Film camera
    Digital camera
    SLR
    TLR
    Rangefinder
    View camera
    Fixed lens camera
    Interchangeable lens camera
    Still camera
    Movie camera
    Eye level camera
    Waist level camera
    Roll film camera
    Sheet film camera
    Cartridge loading camera
    Miscellaneous cameras such as Aerial, Underwater, Stereo, Instant, Disposable, Pinhole, Panoramic, Cell phone

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Any camera which is metalic and mechanical...
    Last edited by baachitraka; 08-27-2011 at 01:47 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    OM-1n: Do I need to own a Leica?
    Rolleicord Va: Humble.
    Holga 120GFN: Amazingly simple yet it produces outstanding negatives to print.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin