Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,049   Posts: 1,561,085   Online: 766

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    Myself, I collect various Nikon F-series cameras (Yeah, I know - not very original!) - and I definitely have more cameras than I /need/. However, I try to use them all on a semi-regular basis.

Why Nikon F?
    • Just about any F-mount lens you can find will work (to some degree) on any F-mount camera, thus making the collection very flexible from a user perspective.
    • There's a huge advantage in numbers; F cameras are all over the 'bay, and you can find all categories of a specific model - mint, user, parts - at any given time. (Excluding various limited editions, of course.)
    • The vast numbers they've been made in has another advantage: Prices are very reasonable (This, of course, can be said of a number of cameras from a range of manufacturers.)
    • For the most part, they are indestructible, thus excellent users. (This, of course... etc.)
    • There's something for everyone; plain, rock solid users - or exotic special editions. How about a gold-plated F2, for instance?

As always, your mileage may vary, and as others have said, it really depends a lot on what focus you'd like on your collection.

Myself, I find that most of the fun is in using the cameras for their intended purpose - and thus, rather than shelling out for mint-ish specimens, I try to find good users with lots of life left in them, the odd scratch or ding notwithstanding.

There's a lot of fun to be had (To me, anyway) by starting off a week shooting an F (metered or not, you decide!), then progressing to an F2, F2AS, F3... Etc, etc, just appreciating the improvements Nikon engineers saw fit to introduce as the series bore on. Within a few days, you can cover six decades of camera technology! Nerdvana!

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by 2F/2F View Post
    I suggest not collecting usable cameras. It will drive the prices up for those that actually shoot them, and will be a complete waste of the cameras' abilities. The thing about cameras is that even old ones are still extremely useful in every day shooting, and very high in quality compared to today's cameras.
    So we're supposed to collect junk and inops? I insist on having everything in my collection be functional, thats why I have parts cameras. If the opportunity comes along to buy up, IE: get a better condition camera or working, I will buy it and turn out the non functional/lower condition rated unit.
    So I buy functional and non functional cameras.
    I also have my area of special interest and buy any example of which that comes at a decent price. If this drives up the price in the market, then so be it.
    Right now F's with any finder except the eye level are going for stupid low prices.If I like the condition and the price I buy it thats why I have 4 or 5 of them now, I lost track...
    When its a buyers market you can count on speculators to enter and drive up the prices, its been done with real estate,precious metals,stocks etc.

Been around long enough to kick myself for not buying that used Shelby GT350 or the Benz 300 SL gull wing or the 57 T-bird for or the 67 big block Sting Ray convertible when they turned up for $2000-$3000.
    Not making those mistakes again.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Quote Originally Posted by Les Sarile View Post
    I use everyone of them regularly - I do my part in keeping film alive, but I also would like to have a historical perspective on it. When I see such varying designs juxtaposed, it always has me wondering what were the thought process involved at that time . . .

Also, it is much better to have them in my possession then sitting unused or worst!
    And the point of collectors studying what they collect is adequately illustrated in your "1955 Leica Luftwaffe" which is either a Fed or Zorki which has had the chrome stripped and engravings intended to deceive made on the bare metal. These things were made with Western consumers (= 'suckers') in mind and have been sold for outrageous sums of money.
    Anyone who sees a "Reichsadler" on a camera... caveat emptor

David

Shooter
    35mm
    I have yet to find anyone attempting to counterfeit mid 70s SLRs, the issue with RF cameras is well known.Don't know why items associated with a heretic regime have any value to begin with.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    well I blame the Leica fondlers who pay outrageous sums for "Luftwaffen Eigentum" and IIIcK and red shutter curtains (made by Graflex in the US just before the war) Ernst Leitz and co were not Nazis and worked to protect their Jewish employees and families from the Nazis... That should be remembered, not the state-run industry.

David

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Someonenameddavid View Post
    well I blame the Leica fondlers who pay outrageous sums for "Luftwaffen Eigentum" and IIIcK and red shutter curtains (made by Graflex in the US just before the war) Ernst Leitz and co were not Nazis and worked to protect their Jewish employees and families from the Nazis... That should be remembered, not the state-run industry.

David
    Good point.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Someonenameddavid View Post
    And the point of collectors studying what they collect is adequately illustrated in your "1955 Leica Luftwaffe" which is either a Fed or Zorki which has had the chrome stripped and engravings intended to deceive made on the bare metal. These things were made with Western consumers (= 'suckers') in mind and have been sold for outrageous sums of money.David
    It is funny how many who see that mistake it as my most expensive piece . . .

Really that trio was to show the state of 35mm back then and how groundbreaking the original Asahi Pentax was by comparison.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by fstop View Post
    So we're supposed to collect junk and inops? I insist on having everything in my collection be functional, thats why I have parts cameras.
    Wonderful thing about inops... Very often they have "one" broken part, and the very core of the camera, all the gears which predict a long, serviceable future, are as good as new.

Shooter
    Large Format
    How about an srt 101? Made by Minolta, I have one, and it's gotta be the easiest to use and simolest 35mm camera with a meter I have ever encountered. Apart from Ines that can auto set everything, this is as easy as a manual camera gets.
    And they are plentiful and pretty cheap.
    Now, if you want, I could sell you an xg7, also from Minolta. I wouldn't mind parting with it-mine has already roasted the electronics once, and at over $100 to replace at that time, and it seeming ti have done so again, I would rather sell it to someone collecting stuff that will never use it instead of it being broken and taking up storage space that I could put something else that works. Cosmetically, its great. Functionally, it is not only broken, but was the absolute worst metering exposure system to deal with. Forget setting shutter and aperture manually-just leave it in auto.
    Seriously though, collect stuff you like and will use. What is the point of an object, valuable or not, that will never see use, not because it is obsolete, but because it's in a collection? Just buy ten cameras you enjoy using.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I would go for price and functionality.
    Nikon: F. F2. F2AS. F3 F4. FE, FM, F100, FM3A, F90X
    Minolta: XD-11, SRT-101
    Leica: IIIf, M3
    Contax: IIa
    Olympus: OM-1, OM-1n, OM-2, OM-2n, OM-4Ti, Epic
    Hasselblad 500 CM
    Mamiya RB6X7 Pro S
    Mamiya 645
    Bronica: EC, EC-TL, SQ-Ai
    Canon: F-1, New F-1, A-1, EF
    Yashica: Electro 35 CSN, MG-1, FX-3, Lynx 14e
    Last edited by Pumalite; 08-29-2011 at 05:23 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    " A loving and caring heart is the beginning of all knowledge " ~ Thomas Carlyle ~

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin