Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,276   Posts: 1,534,735   Online: 901

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I don't think anyone is "supposed" to do anything, nor did I say so.

If I am using the cameras, I don't consider myself a collector. A "collector" to me is someone who buys/hordes things only because they are valuable or of historical note, and then just stows them in climate-controlled rooms as curiosities or monetary investments. So that is the context of my statement.

For instance, people doing this with old guitars have driven the prices into fantasy land for most actual players, and it makes me sick. One collector in particular, Norman Harris, is almost singlehandedly responsible for sending the value of vintage Stratocasters on their current course, during the late '70's and '80's (when the guitars in question were barely 25 years old at most). He scooped up all the Strats he could find, from all over the country. He had guys scouring pawn shops across the U.S.A. By hording and greatly contributing to the mystique of the instruments, he took a small emerging market and injected it with steroids, selling mostly to crazy overseas investors who don't even play guitar, but wanted one of each color from each year just because they could. It is sad; most of the best electric guitars ever made SURVIVED LARGELY INTACT AND PLAYABLE, yet will never be played again. It's ironic because when old guitars first became slightly collectible/valuable, it was largely because both Fender and Gibson had been bought by large corporations in the mid-to-late '60's, and had almost immediately started making really mediocre electric guitars. The older ones were truly "better" in every way...and that means "better" as musical instruments. The irony is twofold: 1) Nowadays, people even consider many of the terrible guitars from the Dark Ages to be collectible/valuable in their own right. They just don't get that old does not necessarily equal good, and that the whole reason the vintage guitar market came to be in the first place is because of those terrible guitars they are now paying thousands for as "vintage" pieces. 2) Both Fender and Gibson made turnarounds, and have been making high quality brand new instruments for over 20 years, so the original reason for the vintage guitars rising in value in the first place has been nullified.

There are only a few cameras that I have got for collector reasons, thinking that they were more investments than tools. A Linhof III version 4 original three lens kit, and an original Rolleiflex Wide Angle in near mint condition that I found in a local thrift shop.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I am not so sure the OP is using the word in the same way. Reading his posts I might be wrong but I am not so sure English is his first language.
    I have a collection of cameras that I use. I have collected the cameras that best serve my needs.
    I have a collection of beer bottles on the back porch.
    Excuse me while I collect my things and go to work now.

Dennis

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It seems from the OP's statements that they are looking to make a "users" collection. In that case, get ready to constantly be broke in the money department. No matter how great a camera is or is said to be, it's no good to you unless it feels good to you and you are happy with the results it gives. I have spent years buying cameras because they look cool, heard they were the best, or just because I came across them. I shoot it and more times than not, I find myself turning around and selling it to someone else because it just didn't suit ME. This is how you will get your user's collection. And, if my experience holds true, you will sell them for much less than you paid. However, that is not to say you didn't spend your money wisely. I have shot some pretty cool cameras that did not work out for me and in the long run it was a cheap way to find the real gems that I love. My collection as it is, is now made on my mood of the day. I feel like shooting today, look upon my shelf and pick what seems to be fun for that trip.

A couple of trips ago, I took a Yashica-mat LM and a Toyo 45G to North Carolina. Hiked the 4x5 to the top of the mountain, shot the TLR around the house and city. Last trip to NYC, Mini speed graphic with two different backs, 1-6x9, 1- 6x6. Fun all around. Just make use of them.

Cheers,
    Jody

Shooter
    35mm
    So, if we start collecting Kodak Instamatics it will drive their price up and we can all get rich selling them on eBay?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    One can be a "collector" and a user at the same time. I use all my cameras at one time or another.
    " A loving and caring heart is the beginning of all knowledge " ~ Thomas Carlyle ~

Shooter
    35mm
    There are three cameras that really made a difference to the history of photography:

Graflex speed graphic
    Nikon f
    Hassleblad 6x6

Im not a fan of leicas or rollies, as they were mostly the toys of the rich, not artists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BobD View Post
    So, if we start collecting Kodak Instamatics it will drive their price up and we can all get rich selling them on eBay?
    No. They have to be good cameras at first...better than what you can buy today (not true - you cannot even go to the store and buy film for them, for one thing). Then they have to be relatively low in production, such that they can be made to all but disappear from pawn shops and yard sales simply by hording (not true). Then you have to sell the line that they are great and rare, and anybody who is anybody needs one in red and one in blue (probably possible).

So, that cannot be done with your example, but certainly with some vintage cameras.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    35mm
    "If I am using the cameras, I don't consider myself a collector. A "collector" to me is someone who buys/hordes things only because they are valuable or of historical note, and then just stows them in climate-controlled rooms as curiosities or monetary investments."

With more than 500 cameras, I know I am a collector. I do, however, use them. Well .... maybe not all of them but more than half. I do add to the collection cameras which I intend to use (one day).

The OP did say he intends to collect cameras he can use: perhaps not all of them.

OP -- take a look at fixed lens rangefinders such as those marketed in the 60's and 70' by Minolta (Hi-Matic 7, 9 or 11) and Yashica. They have terrific lenses and are for the most part quite affordable.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by 2F/2F View Post
    No. They have to be good cameras at first...better than what you can buy today (not true - you cannot even go to the store and buy film for them, for one thing). Then they have to be relatively low in production, such that they can be made to all but disappear from pawn shops and yard sales simply by hording (not true). Then you have to sell the line that they are great and rare, and anybody who is anybody needs one in red and one in blue (probably possible).

So, that cannot be done with your example, but certainly with some vintage cameras.
    So glad you explained that to me. I was about to buy a dumpster full of Mick-A-Matics.

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Of course, any camera collection should have a LeCoultre Compass.

And a Carbon Infinity.

I'm not a collector, so I don't have the Compass - and my Carbon Infinity is in use. BTW, it's the camera shown in the link, bought from Christophe Metairie.
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin