Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,002   Posts: 1,524,455   Online: 1036

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    The foam kits from interslice are top notch. The foam is pro stuff, not that cheap craft stuff.
    The foam is different densities for different areas, or felt if it is required. It is pre-cut for areas like the hinge or latch, whatever it requires.

It's your Nikon F2. spend the $10.
    Go not to the elves for counsel, for they will say both yes and no.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by darinwc View Post
    The foam kits from interslice are top notch. The foam is pro stuff, not that cheap craft stuff.
    The foam is different densities for different areas, or felt if it is required. It is pre-cut for areas like the hinge or latch, whatever it requires.

The guy at interslice made/makes his own adhesive foam by buying craft foam. If you look at the paper backing you can see that he used old magazine covers. He does use a diifferent foam density for the mirrror damper but it doesnt really matter as long as the foam you use has good give and won't scratch.

Using your logic you might as well send it out for cla.

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by darinwc View Post

Not worth it. That "cheap craft stuff" seems to hold up remarkably well. Pre-cut? C'mon. Perhaps if you're not allowed access to sharp objects...

interslice produces a nice product but it also trades on the presumption the job is tricky and likely to wreck your old Spotmatic or Nikkormat if you use "lesser" stuff.

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by John Koehrer View Post
    I usually do the door channels, end of door and mirror bumper using the same custom bamboo skewer that newton does.
    The door channels are the easiest things, why skip them?

You do need to be careful with the area around the mirror bumper. I'd remove the screen to be careful
    Door channels really aren't that critical and thin yarn is best if you really have to cram something in there. Seems some sort of waxed yarn or cordage was used on my old F's body where the film back slid in--no foam in sight.

Putting a fitted piece of copy paper over the mirror to catch any gick has always worked for me.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The later cameras used foam door seals, but maybe it was for ease of mass production. The yarn/string gets tricky to place when there is a film counter reset latch that you don't want to cover. yes the foam I'm putting on will probably break down in 20-30 years but im sure I can do it again then.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by CGW View Post

interslice produces a nice product but it also trades on the presumption the job is tricky and likely to wreck your old Spotmatic or Nikkormat if you use "lesser" stuff.
    Jon Goodman (interslice) is great to deal with, and the illustrated instructions he packs with the kits provide a substantial proportion of their value.

To anyone who has never re-foamed a camera, I would suggest you buy one of his kits, follow the instructions and then, once the work is complete, come to your own decision whether or not to buy a kit for the next camera you work on.

That's what I've done, and I've got two recent kits sitting here waiting for my attention.

One thing that adds to my appreciation of dealing with Jon is that his shipping charge is minimal, even for his Canadian customers .

He seems to be in the process of leaving eBay and setting up his own, free standing web site.

YMMV, but I am a satisfied customer.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Add me to the list of "Foamies" users. My life testing shows that so far that product has lasted 8 years and shows no sign of degredation yet.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    p.s. I use the version WITHOUT the sticky backing and apply tiny dabs of contact adhesive when necessary (which is a lot less than one would think).

cmo
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    I am lazy... well, I never refoamed a camera and have 13 cameras here waiting for new seals before I will put them into the apug classifieds ... I will definitely get the pre-cut seals to save a little time, and I am ready to pay for that.
    The future belongs to the few of us still willing to get our hands smell like fixing bath.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by cmo View Post
    ... to save a little time, and I am ready to pay for that.
    That is the big difference in my mind as to how I would advise people on the Interslice vs using raw materials. Cutting them isn't difficult but can take time. It's not a matter of "lazy" but more a matter of how one chooses to spend their available free time.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin