Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,524   Posts: 1,543,876   Online: 934

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Pentax ME Super with frozen shutter. Fix?

My father-in-law recently gave me a Pentax ME Super with a Rikenon 50mm f/1.4 lens. The shutter is jammed in some fashion. Shutter is closed and the film advance won't, as if the shutter is cocked, but the shutter release does nothing in any mode I select. Does this camera have an electrically powered shutter such that dead batteries kill shutter operation? There are no batteries in it right now. What size/type does it take? (Mercury, with my luck .)

Shooter
    Large Format
    Looks like it takes common 1.5V alkaline cells.

http://www.pentaximaging.com/files/manual/MESuper.pdf

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The ME Super takes a couple of LR44 or A76 batteries... they are not mercury batteries. I have a couple of ME Supers and they are a fine camera. I am not sure about the lens you have, Pentax lenses are marked Pentax SMC-M. The Rikenon is probably an after-market lens... or a Minolta lens.

Without batteries the camera should fire at 125th of a second and it is marked on the knob that will set the camera on M (for manual) or A (aperture priority) or 125 (which is also for the flash sync).

Good luck and have fun with the camera.
    gene LaFord

Long live Ed "Big Daddy" Roth!!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    "I don't care about Milwaukee or Chicago." - Yvon LeBlanc

Shooter
    35mm
    Electronic shutter but you have 1/125 and B with no batteries.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The Rikenon is a Ricoh lens.
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by lxdude View Post
    The Rikenon is a Ricoh lens.
    Doh... I shudda remembered that!!!
    gene LaFord

Long live Ed "Big Daddy" Roth!!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    "I don't care about Milwaukee or Chicago." - Yvon LeBlanc

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian C View Post
    Looks like it takes common 1.5V alkaline cells.

http://www.pentaximaging.com/files/manual/MESuper.pdf
    Thanks Ian! I picked up some just now, put them in. Didn't seem to help at first but I whacked the camera on my palm a couple times and it fired. No metering and the shutter works only intermittently and the film advance often advances no matter what the shutter state is so I'm guessing it's gummed up lube. My father-in-law would never treat any camera rough enough to actually break it but he would bury it in a closet for twenty years .

As a bonus, there was a roll of 24 exp Kodak 400 color print film in there. I just dropped that off at the local Safeway's Fujifilm drop box. Can't remember the exact name of the film on the cassette but if it has images on it that will certainly narrow down its date of entombment.

Thanks to everyone else for their posts.

s-a

Shooter
    35mm
    Put it in manual mode - 1/125 or B, to see if it advances and shutter fires predictably. This way you'll know if it is the electronics.

Cool to find film from sometime ago. Hope it turns out good!

Shooter
    Large Format
    It’s a good idea to use the eraser on the end of a pencil to clean the contacts for the cells and then blow out the eraser crumbs.

Equipment that has sat unused for a long time forms an insulating film of atmospheric hazing that interferes with the connection to the cells.

Also, clean the threads between the battery cover and the mating threads on the bottom of the body. If they get covered by the same film, the current won’t flow from the cap to complete the circuit through the body.

It might not help, but these are worth a try.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Here's probably the best Pentax guy in the US, and certainly the nicest and most honest-
    http://pentaxs.com/

If you send him an email describing the behavior, he could give you some ideas what is going on and what it would take to fix it. Wonderful cameras, those ME Supers. Eric Hendrickson has the parts and skill to bring them back to life at very good prices.

On your camera, look at the mirror. Is it down? Is there a band of gunk or smudge along the front/bottom edge? When you fire the shutter, does the mirror get stuck or slowed down at the top of its travel? The foam in these cameras turns to tar over time and makes a mess of things. The ME Super also has an internal pad that can gum things up.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin