Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,197   Posts: 1,531,423   Online: 789

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    Blog Entries
    Images

Superwide lenses for the Canon FD system?

I recently found myself in a situation where my FD 24mm lens wasn't wide enough. Because I expect to do more shooting of that kind, I had a look around for superwide fullframe (no crop circle fisheye) lenses. Canon made 15mm and 17mm superwides, but they are rather expensive. I could get the 20mm f/2.8, but I'd prefer something even wider.
    Are there any good third-party superwides available for the FD mount? Maximum aperture doesn't matter, I just need a sharp piece of glass for a good price.
    What are your recommendations?
    And the sign said, "long haired freaky people need not apply"

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    My experience with the 3rd party wide stuff for Canon FD is: don't bother. The difference in image quality is simply not worth the cost savings. And Canon FD stuff is relatively cheap these days.

I'm not a big fan of the 17mm. That small max aperture is annoying, and to my eye the lens vignettes a bit. The 15mm is a great lens, if you can work with the barrel distortion. The 14mm is just downright weird in its effects, that lens is hard to use well (and is still really really expensive because it's so rare.) So yeah, the 20mm is a nice choice.

When I was testing all my lenses on one of those spinning ground glass video camera adapters I put together a big chart which might help you in your quest:

http://betlikeduncan.com/duncan/redr...arts/canon_fd/

Duncan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You could try the Tokina 17mm.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    The 14mm Rokinon is very impressive. I have it for the Nikon, and I love it. Manual focus, but that has never made much difference with that DOF.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The Tamron 17mm is quite good.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Go with the FD 17mm it might cost you a few extra bucks, but it is worth it in the wrong long!

Jeff

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've used my 20mm f/2.8 FD a ton. I never thought I'd need to go wider but I have the 17-40 f/4 EF and do find the 17mm is nice there so maybe one day I'll get the FD version...
    Harry Pulley - Visit the BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE FORUM

Happiness is...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kubach View Post
    Go with the FD 17mm it might cost you a few extra bucks, but it is worth it in the wrong long!

Jeff
    The FD 17mm lens Jeff is a semi-fisheye that produces curvo-linear perspective which is why I bought the FD 20mm f2.8 as an ultra wide lens in preferance , the Tamron SP is also a recto-linear lens that produces more conventional ultra wide angle images .
    Ben

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by benjiboy View Post
    The FD 17mm lens Jeff is a semi-fisheye that produces curvo-linear perspective which is why I bought the FD 20mm f2.8 as an ultra wide lens in preferance , the Tamron SP is also a recto-linear lens that produces more conventional ultra wide angle images .
    Are you sure? I'm pretty sure the 17mm is a normal rectilinear super wide angle lens. That said, I never owned one myself, just the 20mm.

I believe you are thinking of the 15mm rectangular fisheye lens.
    Harry Pulley - Visit the BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE FORUM

Happiness is...

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Yeah, the 7.5mm is the circular fisheye. The 15mm is the biggest rectangular crop of a fisheye circle. And all the rest are rectilinear, even the smaller-focal-length 14mm and most certainly the 17mm. See the example shots in my chart above.

Duncan

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin