Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,008   Posts: 1,524,597   Online: 972

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Minolta MD 50mm f/1.7 vs. f/1.4

Just picked up a free Minolta X-700 with a 35-70 zoom on it. It looks like it needs an MD series lens for priority auto exposure. Can anyone tell me the functional differences between the f/1.7 and f/1.4 lenses? I'm a Canon guy, so I know why their FD f/1.4 is much better than the f/1.8.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    In the Minolta lineup, they are both sharp lenses. Occasionally you will even see a f1.7 that edges out a f1.4 version for sharpness, they are that close. However, the bokeh is noticeably better on the f1.4 to my eyes. Take a look at Antony's lens tests at www.rokkorfiles.com and check out his 50mm shootout.
    Also, you don't "need" an MD lens, what you're referring to will usually work with all the lenses. My favorite series was the MD RokkorX though. The more advanced MD coatings, with the build quality of the all metal MC series - best of both worlds! ;-)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks for that info. The manual seems to suggest that the MD lens gives both program and aperture priority, while the MC lens only gives aperture priority. Is this an incorrect assessment?

Shooter
    35mm
    The MD-lenses had a modified aperture operating system with a linear and exact relation between the operating way and the f-stop and a faster closing of the aperture blades. This was necessary for the first multi-automat SLR, the XD-7 (XD-11) and the following generation of XD, X- and XG-cameras.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    The 1.4 will give slightly less DOF when focused close and will give you a vastly increased price tag. The only reason to buy a 1.4 is to have the ability to say that you have a 1.4.
    Thank you.
    CWalrath
    APUG BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE
    DE Darkroom

"Wubba, wubba, wubba. Bing, bang, bong. Yuck, yuck, yuck and a fiddle-dee-dee." - The Yeti

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The other tangible, is that the 1.7 is while almost as fast as the 1.4, it is not as heavy, so you are more tempted to keep it and the x700 with you every day in your day bag.

I have shot an x-700 (actually a few different ones) since they were first introduced, and find that I use P mode very rarely. I find A suits my style much more readily. Manual metering in the x-700 kind of sucks. For a much more pleasant metering and selected speed though the viewfinder indicators, look to find a close relative, the X-570.

As others have noted, unless P is the needed mode, older MC and Roccor-X lenses work fine. They are, being all metal, quite a bit heavier too.
    my real name, imagine that.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Walrath View Post
    The 1.4 will give slightly less DOF when focused close and will give you a vastly increased price tag. The only reason to buy a 1.4 is to have the ability to say that you have a 1.4.
    Well, like I say, I don't know much about the Minolta's but with Canon's FD 50mm lenses, the f/1.4 has 6 elements vs. 5 in the f/1.8 and it has an 8-blade aperture vs. 5 blades in the f/1.8. The f/1.4 lens is substantially better in terms of its optical qualities.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony-S View Post
    Thanks for that info. The manual seems to suggest that the MD lens gives both program and aperture priority, while the MC lens only gives aperture priority. Is this an incorrect assessment?
    No, the MC supports aperture priority and the MD supports both aperture and shutter priority, as well a program.
    "Far more critical than what we know or do not know is what we do not want to know." - Eric Hoffer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    What's the difference between Rokkor and Rokkor X?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I think that assuming that in the event that every example of these lenses performed exactly the same when they were manufactured after twenty odd years use and abuse in some cases, who knows if each example will give the same results.
    Last edited by benjiboy; 08-31-2011 at 04:22 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    Ben

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin