Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,916   Posts: 1,584,720   Online: 745

Page 12 of 35 FirstFirst ... 2678910111213141516171822 ... LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianL View Post
    Wayne, try using the Leica as a you did the Minox, zone focus. Allow the DoF scale guide you.
    I agree. If you look at Gary Winogrand (try YouTube) a lot of the time he shot his Leica pre-focused, as do other street/documentary guys. There's a good chance someone brought up on SLRs will never get to search out a focus patch as quickly as a fresnel screen. Use fast film and zone focus and you can work with rangefinders or even old zonies and still have everything sharp, especially with wide lenses.

By contrast an out of focus manual SLR demands the photographer focus to see the subject. This isn't a pro or anti rant BTW, I like SLRs and rangefinders. Just pointing out that you can shoot a rangefinder without ever touching the focusing ring.

Shooter
    35mm
    My most disappointing camera was a Nikon F2A.

I always wanted the F2 when I was young, but when I finally got a chance to purchase one in near mint condition, I wasn't impressed. I found it difficult to grip compared to my Nikon F. The rounded edges of the F2A made it too easy to slip from my hands. Also, I found it to be rather top-heavy; even more so than my F with FTN Photomic metered prism. When my F2A started getting the jumpy meter syndrome, I removed the batteries, bubble-wrapped it and placed it into storage with the rest of my rarely used cameras.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by snegron View Post
    My most disappointing camera was a Nikon F2A.

SACRILEGE!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by blockend View Post

By contrast an out of focus manual SLR demands the photographer focus to see the subject. This isn't a pro or anti rant BTW, I like SLRs and rangefinders. Just pointing out that you can shoot a rangefinder without ever touching the focusing ring.
    Hmmm...if I use an aerial image (clear) screen in my MX, maybe with a split image or microprism dot, I'd have a small, no-parallax, more or less rangefinder camera equivalent...
    That might be really cool...
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by lxdude View Post
    Hmmm...if I use an aerial image (clear) screen in my MX, maybe with a split image or microprism dot, I'd have a small, no-parallax, more or less rangefinder camera equivalent...
    That might be really cool...
    You could also shoot on a 28mm or wider with a modest maximum aperture and everything will appear in focus. The advantage of a rangefinder is the view is close to daylight. Pick one with a life size finder and you can shoot with both eyes open and not fall over!

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Vilk View Post

SACRILEGE!
    Thats better than ebaying it where the great unwashed can get their grubby paws on it.
    Yeah its top heavy, the solution is to put the motor drive on it.But to be honest its still a match needle manual camera that gets its butt kicked by the less expensive more capable F3 at every turn.However the F3 doesn't have the cache the F2 does and will not appreciate as much.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Most terrible cameras I have ever used were Nikon , Canon and Olympus.
    I am an Leica user and nobody could not write that how much they are good. I bought my Leicas and lenses with comparing their shots and others starting from 70 years old magazines to newest ones.
    Leica cameras are a school and teach you your next move.
    Nikon , Canon and Olympus cameras had the worst lenses I have ever seen and happily they dont print that stuff at a magazine. They were mechanically working but I prefer a zenit and kiev to them. Lenses were horrible.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I believe the absolutly most horrid disappointing experience with a camera was the Zorky 4 I picked up last summer. Even more disappointing was the lens on it(IIRC) a Jupiter 8(I'm not up on Russian gear)Thought it would be a fun shooter, couldn't figure it out.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Mustafa, I too love Leica and generally Zeiss glass over glass from Japan but much of the Japanese glass was not bad just a different look resulting for its use. Sort of what you get used to and regional tastes. Chocolate in the US is not the same as in Canada I found nor the same as Switzerland or the U.K. I can not get used to the Canadian flavoring even after 16 years here and crave the US version, right down to M&Ms, Hershey and Mars bars.

Shooter
    35mm
    Miller Lite, tastes great

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin