Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 72,450   Posts: 1,597,154   Online: 1086

Page 13 of 35 FirstFirst ... 37891011121314151617181923 ... LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'd ask my camera who it's most dissapointing owner has been.
    But, I might not like the answer.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    My first serious camera was a Voigtlander Vitessa (L, I think), bought around 1957 or so. Terrific piece of workmanship/great lens, produced great pictures. A year or two later I read in the photo mags about the then new SLR's and decided that I had to have one. Traded in the Vitessa for a Practica of some kind; wlf, no prism. Where the Vitessa was a beautiful piece of machinery, the Practica was probably stamped out from tin cans and a complete PITA. And no, it wasn't rangefinder vs SLR; the camera was junk. Took it to college and it expired in the middle of a photo course that I then completed using a friend's Miranda (remember those?).

Bottom line is that the experience pretty much cured me of GAS. The next camera that I bought was a Pentax Spotmatic, purchased in an Air Force PX. Still have it, still works.

X. Phot.
    I must admit that I'm a magnet for crappy cameras. Most cameras explode after only a few seconds in my hands, and small cameras seem to be the worst. As my monthly budget for new gear is only a few dollars, my choices can be limited. Thrift stores, antique stores, estate sales, ebay, and Goodwill are perty much my sources for different equipment. Though I have pulled off some amazing deals this way, sadly I must admit that a good 75% of the cameras I purchase end up being crapola. But, from my own experience the "Worst-of-the-worst" award falls squarely on the PAX M2 cameras. I had purchased a number of these cameras, thinking I would eventually get lucky. Please, if you spot one of these PAX cameras . . . run away. Run as fast as you can.

Other cameras that left me wanting . . . Aires 35, Practica FX 3, Olympus PEN F, Olympus PEN EE, Olympus XA2, Minolta 16, Pentax Auto 110
    Last edited by X. Phot.; 09-07-2011 at 12:57 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The only camera I'm disappointing is my 4x5. I am just not spending enough time with it, not getting to know it well enough to do what I would like.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick A View Post
    The only camera I'm disappointing is my 4x5. I am just not spending enough time with it, not getting to know it well enough to do what I would like.
    Humm, don't know what you have of course but LF definitely has a learning curve and demands time and effort much more so than 35 or MF but the rewards are substantial. I get a big grin every time I lay out a 4x5 on the lightbox and the prints...ah!

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Mustafa Umut Sarac View Post
    They were mechanically working but I prefer a zenit and kiev to them. Lenses were horrible.

Quote Originally Posted by Mustafa Umut Sarac View Post
    Leica cameras are a school and teach you your next move.
    that may well be, but most people eventually graduate and take responsibility for their next move... and that's when they chuck their "school" cameras and get a nikon, no?

have i just swallowed some bait or something? this can't be real...

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Most disappointing?

My DSLR

Reason: Couldn't ever figure out how to load the film, and the manual wasn't much help either.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Re entering the foray, my most disappointing camear was my Prakticamat bought as a teenager, most people don;t realise these were the first TTL meter cameras on sale they jsut beat Pentax Spotmatic's by a few months. Actually the camera body and metering were excellent always reliable however the CZJ f1.8 Pancolor lens had mechanical issues, it was extremely sharp but the auto diaphram wouldn't stop down consistently, with other lenses the camera was fine.

Ian

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Vilk View Post

that may well be, but most people eventually graduate and take responsibility for their next move... and that's when they chuck their "school" cameras and get a nikon, no?

have i just swallowed some bait or something? this can't be real...

I always thought the camera was our obedient servant, not our schoolmaster.The camera does not see the picture, it only records it to our specifications and then only if its within its capability.
    However I did learn one thing from Canned A-1 and AE-1 program I owned, I don't like them.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by fstop View Post
    I always thought the camera was our obedient servant, not our schoolmaster.The camera does not see the picture, it only records it to our specifications and then only if its within its capability.
    However I did learn one thing from Canned A-1 and AE-1 program I owned, I don't like them.
    Was the feeling mutual?

The divorce amicable?

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin