Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,551   Posts: 1,544,889   Online: 931

Page 26 of 35 FirstFirst ... 1620212223242526272829303132 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    All the dogs I've cololected in 63 years.
    " A loving and caring heart is the beginning of all knowledge " ~ Thomas Carlyle ~

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by f/16 View Post
    I have been unhappy with abut half the camera bodies I got on fleabay. Now I get most of my gear at KEH.
    Good morning, Jeff;

You have been disappointed with about only "half the camera bodies" you have received through eek-bait? Man, that is good!

So far, I have been running about 20% of the cameras were useable with only a CLA. Then there have been another 60% that clearly needed an obvious repair along with the CLA to make them workable. The remaining 20% were so far gone as to be uneconomical for even me to have repaired, so they became parts cameras sitting on the top shelf waiting for another camera in need.

The use on eek-bait of the term "Used" seems to have been something where they often miss that "Used, but fully functional" part immediately following that "Used" starting term in the published eek-bait definition. When you have a camera arrive and you open the box, and while lifting out the camera, you notice that the front element group literally flops around on the lens, this is something that is a bit of a stretch to fit into that "but fully functional" part. You would think that if they knew they had a lens with a loosely controlled "tilt" component, they would have charged much more for it.
    Enjoy;

Ralph Javins, Latte Land, Washington

When they ask you; "How many Mega Pixels you got in your camera?"
    just tell them; "I use activated silver bromide crystals tor my image storage media."

Shooter
    35mm
    I've done fairly well on screwmebay until the past few months. Bad sellers, bad,bad,bad they all have something in common, they are female.or a husband and wife team.
    They way things work on ebay is if they screw you they will offer to refund you money IF you foot the bill to ship the item back.The seller doesn't lose a dime, but you'll be out the shipping cost, they know you won't spend 20 dollars to ship a 20 dollar item back to get a refund or in the case you do they simply relist the item
    I don't bother I just give them negatives. They got one shot at sending what is described.If its junk and is stated as such thats ok, but you get these nitwits that say it works fine and it doesn't work at all they deserve a negative even after a refund as far as I'm concerned.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Am I the only one who passes up apparent bargains on eBay when the description proves it was written by someone who doesn't know what they are talking about? It's possible of course that such items really are fine and just owned by people who don't know anything about them, inherited them, got them with a box of miscellaneous junk, whatever, but some of the really odd descriptions of cameras and lenses and, worse yet sometimes, darkroom equipment just send me away shaking my head. I deal with established sellers with good reputations that know what they're talking about only, and so far so good. I may pass up some bargains but that chances isn't worth the risk to me. My preference for cameras and lenses would be KEH, other reputable used dealers, and the forums (here and LFPF) over eBay. Never had a truly bad experience buying off the forums though some things have been described a wee bit optimistically or with what I considered important details omitted.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Vanishing Point Ent. View Post
    replaces a Yashica T-4, which despite the
    superior Zeiss lens, I could not produce the quality of the results I wanted, because of the limitation of the film DX Coding, without a Manual Overide.
    There are two work-arounds:

1) Place a bit of ND filter material - a few mm^2 snip from a $5 / 20x24" sheet of Rosco - over the metering cell. A 0.6ND filter and a lack of DX code results in the camera shooting at 2 stops under ASA 100 - resulting in ASA 25 for Tech Pan.

2) Make your own DX sticker with some aluminum foil and electrical tape.

The older T4's were nice in that they were DX coded down to ASA 25.
    DARKROOM AUTOMATION
    f-Stop Timers - Enlarging Meters
    http://www.darkroomautomation.com/da-main.htm

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Cole View Post
    Am I the only one who passes up apparent bargains on eBay when the description proves it was written by someone who doesn't know what they are talking about? It's possible of course that such items really are fine and just owned by people who don't know anything about them, inherited them, got them with a box of miscellaneous junk, whatever, but some of the really odd descriptions of cameras and lenses and, worse yet sometimes, darkroom equipment just send me away shaking my head. I deal with established sellers with good reputations that know what they're talking about only, and so far so good. I may pass up some bargains but that chances isn't worth the risk to me. My preference for cameras and lenses would be KEH, other reputable used dealers, and the forums (here and LFPF) over eBay. Never had a truly bad experience buying off the forums though some things have been described a wee bit optimistically or with what I considered important details omitted.
    I pass up bargains on ebay all the time,you can get burned by people on the forums too. I'm still ahead of the game with what I got from ebay,but its annoying being outright lied to.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've had good luck with the bay, but then I check feedback every time. I also look to see if they have sold similar items before. If they say untested, or "no idea about these things", it's no sale. As far as I can tell, untested means broken.

---
    I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=36.790819,-90.481120

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've had good luck with some things accompanied by "I know nothing" descriptions - especially when the name is wrong too .

But I never bid anything close to a market value, and I only bid on things where I know the shipping cost as well.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've had a few bad experiences on buying through ebay, most of them good, some of them outstanding. One of my greatest buys was a T90 the seller said had the EEE error. Nobody would touch it. I got it for about $100. Looks like new; slammed it on the floor a few times and it works great. You gotta know how to treat these things.
    Fred Latchaw
    Seattle WA

I am beginning to resent being referred to as 'half-fast'.
    Whatever that's supposed to mean.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by flatulent1 View Post
    I've had a few bad experiences on buying through ebay, most of them good, some of them outstanding. One of my greatest buys was a T90 the seller said had the EEE error. Nobody would touch it. I got it for about $100. Looks like new; slammed it on the floor a few times and it works great. You gotta know how to treat these things.
    A little percusive maintenance will straighten out a surprising number of things.

I passed up a supposedly (and probably was) NOS Jobo tank I really wanted because the seller had no feedback at all as a seller. I'll take a risk like that on a $10 or $20 item but not on a $130 tank much less something more. I bought one "used but clean" from someone else with extensive feedback and a rating of 100% for the same price a few days later.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin