Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,498   Posts: 1,543,142   Online: 1028

Page 27 of 35 FirstFirst ... 1721222324252627282930313233 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Be aware of the "deal". I lost the bidding on a camera recently, and since I knew the winner and I loved the same type of camera, I sent him a msg, well, it was funny because he told me after getting the camera he said it was a lemon, etc, etc....sometimes it is just fine to not finish first....

Shooter
    127 Format
    Nearly a disappointment...

I got my Olympus OM4T on Ebay for a really good price including some good lenses. There must have been something in the description or profile that set off alarms because I faced no competition on the bid.

When it arrived the body was pristine with only a microscopic mark on it. It looked like it had never even had a roll through it but it was seriously jammed.

I popped off the bottom plate and tapped and pried until I tripped the shutter. It has worked perfectly since.

I'm sure the seller knew it was jammed and was happy to push it off to a sucker (me) but I win and I didn;t even need the BFH !!
    - Bill Lynch

Shooter
    Medium Format
    The Lomography Diana+. Picked one up on Ebay with tons of Superia 100 for a few dollars, and the lens gets flare so badly that practically every outdoor shot is ruined by it. This isn't a pretty flare either, half the frame gets washed out. Ah well at least the film was worth more than I paid. Still using it up (in other cameras, or course)!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Anytime I have bought junk. Same experience with ham radio. Don't buy junk.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I steer clear of sellers who suggest they do not test the item bcause they don't have time, do not know how to use it or similar crap. I especially loved a couple of years ago a seller had a manual camera for sale and said he could not test it because he did not know how to use it. It was an slr. He also had a Yashicamat for sale and stated he had tested it and it worked fine. How could you know how to use 1 but not the other. Another seller of a ballpoint mentioned also he had not tested it as he did not know how it worked - it was a Parker T-ball Jotter, obviously a complex instrument.

Of course there was that one time when I saw an add for an Olds Toronado and the seller said it had not been driven for a year and he could not test it. I called and went over. He had bought it new and had racked up speeding tickets galore. The judge offered him a few choices including a year in the clink and loose o license for 2 years provided he sell the car. He decided it was the better deal. The car was a color I did not care for but was almost brand new (this was early '73) and to avoid not going back to jail he all but gave it to me for something like a $1,000. It had 5,000 miles on it. Yes, sometimes you do not win and sometimes there is a great story to be told.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    One way to weed out the unscrupulous sellers is to look at what else they are selling or have sold.
    If they have other camera equipment, then generally yes, they do know better. If they have random stuff like garage sale stuff, then its more likely they just really know.

Also, people with a lot of sales generally do it for a living, or for supplimental income.
    They can either A. make more money from each item by testing/inspecting it. or B. quickly sell alot of stuff by saying its untested and as-is. or C. sell the good stuff as working and the bad stuff as "untested/unknown". It's pretty easy to figure it out by looking at the other auctions.
    Go not to the elves for counsel, for they will say both yes and no.

Shooter
    127 Format
    I have known people to purposely describe things as broken or "for parts" that they know work perfectly well, just because they don't want to deal with complaints or returns.

It's definitely a game of "read between the lines" with this stuff.
    - Bill Lynch

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by wblynch View Post

Truer words were never spoken

It is a game most times.

Shooter
    35mm
    I have many cameras but the one that dissapointed me the most has to be the Nikon F5. Now it's a very good camera but I guess I put too much expectation on it. I bought the F5 in 2002 brand new after almost 20 years since I bought a new camera. I found that its meter, shutter speed, aperture controls are not very accurate. It's only on par with equipment made 20 years earlier when in calibration and my camera had to be sent back to Nikon for calibration twice. TTL flash exposure bias for fill flash so it mostly underexposure when flash is the only illumination. Matrix metering system bias for slide film so once again it underexposes color negative film. The controls are ok but slow to operate.
    But I still think it's a great camera.

Speaking of the Pentax K1000. I don't like it because it's overpriced nowaday but it's a usable camera when you could get a brand new one with lens for $129 in the early 80's. However, I found both the Pentax 50mm f/1.8 and 50mm f/1.4 to be excellent. I can't fault the sharpness of either of these lenses in any way. I got my KX for less than the K1000 because many people are after the K1000 and don't know about the KX. The KX is a much better camera as a learning camera than the K1000.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by wblynch View Post
    I have known people to purposely describe things as broken or "for parts" that they know work perfectly well, just because they don't want to deal with complaints or returns.

Sellers have been forced into that because of bad buyers.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin