Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,832   Posts: 1,582,325   Online: 971

Page 31 of 35 FirstFirst ... 212526272829303132333435 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    First generation auto focus SLRs must have been the biggest anticlimax in photo history.

Shooter
    35mm
    Anything Russian. Geez, why did they even bother??? I've had countless brand new ones break in my hands. And the sound of those cameras! *SpRiNg!!*

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    8x10 Deardorff. I had a nice one. It was beautiful to look at and I liked some things about it but in actual use, it simply never lived up to its overblown reputation.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by steven_e007 View Post
    Kiev 60. I didn't expect refinement - it was built like a tank, weighed a ton and smelled of oil and grease. I did think something so heavy and industrial would be tough and rugged and - in it's own way - be reliable. In reality it was fragile, temperamental and riddled with faults. Shutter and film transport, mostly. The first one went back for a film spacing fault. The replacement had a lesser film spacing fault, but the shutter juddered and jammed. I never got a fully working one. The dealer did the honourable thing and refunded my money after about 3 months.

Shame - there was something about them that appealed - including lots of interesting lenses. I got a Pentecon 6 instead, a much better buy :-)
    I had high hope for mine also, just felt right for me but, it would only space correctly after a couple of rolls of film went through it and intermittently the aperture would stop down to a egg shaped hole. I had even bought a Jena lens for it but ended up packing it (camera) away and bought a F mount adapter for the Jena.... I did like the gun grease smell of it....

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by NB23 View Post
    Anything Russian. Geez, why did they even bother??? I've had countless brand new ones break in my hands. And the sound of those cameras! *SpRiNg!!*
    I bought two zenit 12xp's within a week for $9 with nice m46 lenses. The first one shutter curtains came off before I got film into it. The 2nd lost the shutter speed dial before I could try a 2nd roll. They made a nice noise landing in the waste bin...The lenses are on ebay now funding a new 645 camera.
    "If its not broken, I can't afford it."

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Are any of the cameras mentioned worthy of the Cheap Camera Challenge?

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...CB90D96DF59DE5
    "Photography, like surfing, is an infinite process, a constantly evolving exploration of life."
    Aaron Chang

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by blockend View Post
    First generation auto focus SLRs must have been the biggest anticlimax in photo history.
    Depends how you classify 'first generation', are we talking generally (Minolta 7000, Pentax SFX, Nikon 501, Olympus OM707, Canon EOS) or are we talking really early stuff - Pentax ME-F, Nikon F3AF or the non-TTL-AF Ricoh AF lenses?

If the former group, the technology was new and users expectations weren't great - most users would be happy enough with the performance. The press however ignored it until the Nikon F4 arrived - which they then bought in droves.

The really early stuff was ahead of it's time. I have a Pentax ME-F and 35-70/2.8 Kf lens outfit, it has the standard split-image/microprism collar focus aid and the < o > AF indicators in the finder. I found it quite eerie to see the AF drive the focus to a perfect split-image/Microprism collar focus - especially considering that today 'AF calibration' occupies so many forum discussions. Then again, every AF system since then has promised that 'you'll never take an out-of-focus shot ever again' and that it is better than any previous AF system.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Excellent thread. There are certain genetic flaws that are rarely discussed, and other cameras that are simply hard to use.

I will dump on my Leica M3 a bit. Over $1000 into it (CLA included), yet the film counter does not work. Mr Ye says that it is a known problem with early M3's. Meh.

I tried to love Zeiss folders, but they are so hard to use and results for me were never better than mediocre.

Most other cameras (I have over 100) I find quite magical and wonderful.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    What's with the Land Rover bashing? I've used my LR3 as a field geologist and it is outstanding in the field (western Montana), IMO. Reliable, comfortable, durable and sturdy. It is a 5800 lb tank, so of course maintenance is important, but with the weight you get fantastic performance in the mountains, snow, mud, etc.

Don't compare it to an peek squeak little urban runabout: 1991 Acura Integra RS Coupe MT 2560 lbs
    A light little Honda simply can't do the same things. Don't even take it off paved roads...

Apples and Eggs of a comparison = not useful.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    All of them.
    Whatever I buy, my photographs never seem to get any better

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin