Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 74,468   Posts: 1,644,090   Online: 771

Page 7 of 33 FirstFirst 1234567891011121317 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Brand spanking new Canon A1 with a fresh battery on a -20C day, froze up solid until later at home.
    Someone else's old beat up Pentax Spotmatic took all the pictures.

I sold the Canon a month later.

Shooter
    Sub 35mm
    Images
    I traded a 645 Pro TL kit for a Hasselblad 500CM and was bitterly disappointed with my new camera.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by tomalophicon View Post
    I traded a 645 Pro TL kit for a Hasselblad 500CM and was bitterly disappointed with my new camera.
    Care to elucidate why?
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    Sub 35mm
    Images
    Sure, dude.

The ergonomics of the blad didn't suit me.
    It jammed on me once a day.
    The lens hood wobbled.
    I only had one lens to the Mamiya's 4 (not that camera's fault).
    I could never get my pictures as sharp when I wanted very sharp pictures.
    It was expensive to build a respectable system.
    It was rusty.
    All the pictures were square for some strange reason.
    Other reasons that have been deleted from my mind.

I sold the Hassey for an RB67 and am happy again, though I'd like a simple 645 kit again at some stage.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Well, I'd call that elucidated!
    Rusty? Unsharp? Sounds like maybe it was thrashed. The square pictures thing, yeah, that seems to be common with those cameras.
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    Sub 35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by lxdude View Post
    Well, I'd call that elucidated!
    Rusty? Unsharp? Sounds like maybe it was thrashed. The square pictures thing, yeah, that seems to be common with those cameras.
    Maybe it was trashed. The lens looked nice (CFT) and the body had only surface rust present. But still, it just wasn't for me.
    The square is Ok sometimes. I've borrowed a C220 for squareness if I ever get the desire.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Minolta Dynax 9000i.
    Slow, tedious and unrefined autofocus.
    Fiddly, imprecise mode buttons
    Dodgy internal display and poor ergonomics
    Optics for the era were substandard and cheaply constructed.

Apples and oranges. Every photographer will have his/her pet hates in terms of cameras. There was a big following of the Dynax-series cameras at the time.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by darinwc View Post
    My nomination: the Chinon CE-3 Memotron.
    Idea: auto-exposure on any M42 auto lens.
    Failure: cheap build quality feels and sounds well cheap.
    Well, I respect this feeling but I disagree. Depends of course what you compare it to I guess. I have a CE-II and CE-3 and I like both, cameras were still made out of metal at that time, and did not require batteries that would cost more than the lenses...

Comparing to bodies with similar features (aperture priority AE on M42 lenses) I also have a Cosina HiLite EC and a Spotmatic EES II. I prefer the CE-3though I'll admit that the shutter release needs some time to get used to, that's about the only thing I regret on this one.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by bblhed View Post
    Before the Rolleiflex my biggest disapointment was the Nikon F4 that shoots color negative film just fine and if that is what I shot there would be no complaints from me, but it underexposes just enough that slides come out annoyingly dark. What really sucks is that I like the layout of the camera. I should get it serviced, but I'm just too lazy.
    Honestly that's a pretty strange "disappointment." It's just a meter adjustment and should be cheap. More to the point, just change the film speed (you can over ride the DX code, I presume - if not set an exposure bias.)

I had a camera whose internal meter consistently underexposed by two stops. I just set the film speed to a speed two stops slower and shot away, for years. I would have hit a limitation with film slower than 64 as I think the speed went down to 16, but I never used anything slower than that. Well come to think of it, I think I did put one roll of Panatomic-X through it, but shot that on manual.

I've never owned a camera that read DX coding. (Yet, I'm sure I will, but I'm more into large format and medium these days. For times when only 35mm will do, my Pentax LX does the job fine.)

Speaking of the LX - while I'm far from disappointed, it does have two serious lacks, one well documented and one that may be unique to me. The well documented one, that I didn't research before buying it, is the lack of exposure memory lock. Even my little Ricoh XR-7 has this. Meter the area you want, push the button to lock it, re-compose. The lack of it on the LX often forces me to manual mode or watching the changing indications and then selecting an appropriate bias when I could shoot much quicker and easier with memory lock. A very weird oversight for such a high grade camera. The other that may be unique to me is that I find the viewfinder indication of manual mode extremely easy to overlook. This causes two problems: first, all too often when I load film I set 1/2000 second to bang off the blanks at the start, then forget to set the darned thing back and waste frames before I notice. The second problem is that when I use manual, if I forget to set it back to auto right away, the same thing happens. Neither of these would happen if I used the camera all the time, but as I said I'm more often shooting with my Yashica Mat or my Linhof these days.

Can't say I'm disappointed with it though. It's a very capable and well constructed camera.
    Last edited by Roger Cole; 09-01-2011 at 06:12 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    All the plastic AF lens and camera especial from canon, what a jock when i by a lens in box, i think the lens missing but its inside!!
    Also all the kiev medium format, the shutter never work right.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin