Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,851   Posts: 1,582,856   Online: 835

Page 8 of 35 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131418 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    COSINA CT-1
    I bought it in a flea market, with a good kit of lenses (24, 50 and 150mm) for very little money, but it wasn't even worth that handful of euros. The worst issue is that the back part of the body opens at every small stroke (even the softest), letting the light come in and burn away all the pictures. I had to put a whole roll of tape all around the body to get some usable negatives, which quality was (as expected) very poor.

Shooter
    35mm
    darkosaric and all: Soviet cameras are fully capable of high quality results (ie, Zenit, or RF type). It's the quality control that leads many of them into the garbage pail. When they work right they are surprisingly competent, but limited in attributes.

The Soviets also made a VERY cheap, plastic 35mm camera 'for the masses' way back in the fifties or sixties (?) but the lens is much better than one would find on a 'Brownie' and has limited aperture and shutter speed settings, unlike the box cameras and most Instamatic models made by Kodak. Other countries did not 'dumb down' photography for the masses as did Kodak. My opinion: I think that Kodak did more with cameras to denigrate status of quality photography than most manufacturers did. They made up for it with their film.

The The Russian lenses are rightfully compared with the finest in the world. - David Lyga

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I like soviet lenses - they are very good: I have jupiter 11 - excellent lens; had jupiter 8 - also excellent, I have jupiter 12 - good, industars are good, but I use them on M3 with adapter. Viewfinder on zorki 4 is very bad, kiev viewfinder also, and overall feeling of soviet cameras - not for me. Maybe M3 spoiled me - having nice and big viewfinder.
    Also winding of films often destroyed film in my case - but this is probably because I got bad example of cameras (as you sad: quality control problem).
    Last edited by darkosaric; 09-01-2011 at 09:29 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Kiev 60. I didn't expect refinement - it was built like a tank, weighed a ton and smelled of oil and grease. I did think something so heavy and industrial would be tough and rugged and - in it's own way - be reliable. In reality it was fragile, temperamental and riddled with faults. Shutter and film transport, mostly. The first one went back for a film spacing fault. The replacement had a lesser film spacing fault, but the shutter juddered and jammed. I never got a fully working one. The dealer did the honourable thing and refunded my money after about 3 months.

Shame - there was something about them that appealed - including lots of interesting lenses. I got a Pentecon 6 instead, a much better buy :-)
    Steve

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Agreement here on the F4. I have owned and used Nikon F series cameras going back to F2s in the late 70s. I currently own a pair of F2s (DE-1 variety), an F2A and a pair of F2ASs, an F3, F3HP, an F4s and an F5. I bought the F4s on a sort of whim (big mistake): it was the newest thing, it had autofocus, etc. Somehow the camera has never really felt right: ergonomics are awkward, changing batteries in a hurry is a pain in the *** and, compared to the marvelous F5, the auto-focus is slower than molasses in January. As a result, on most shooting excursions, an F2AS, F3HP and F5 are first into the bag; the F4s tends to get pulled from the shelf only in the rarest of instances.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Mamiya C330f
    I did not like it as a teenager when my father got it.
    When I inherited it with the 65mm, 80mm and 250mm lenses and every accessory in the known world for it, I liked it even less. The 65mm lens was too close to the 80mm lens for my taste and if I had kept the camera, I would have traded it for the 55mm lens. I found it too fiddlily => the 65mm and 80mm lenses automatically cocked, the 250mm did not. I had keep flipping the camera on one side and then the other to set the aperture and the shutter only to find that I need to manually cock the 250mm and miss the shot. I had it CLAed and then lost photos and even rolls of film that were unexposed because the repairman did not fasten the door correctly [not the camera's fault]. The view finder was too dark. After several dozen rolls I could not become one with the camera and traded it all in for the Hasselblad 503 CX and never looked back.

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Mamiya 645 Super. Squeaky motor drive never felt securely attached, multiple failures in year one, shutter self-fired anytime it got cold, weird little cable adapter, inconsistent lens quality, cheap feel everywhere but my wallet, slow service from & overpriced by MAC.

Shooter
    35mm
    The very worst was a Kiev 88 CM which had a broken shutter after about 15 rolls, but before that it was a nice camera. Sadly, the price of repair was way above the price for a new one, so it's a very decorative paper weight now and I got a Kowa Six instead.
    Buying a Kiev is like a lottery - you can hit the jackpot, but most of the time, you just pay for nothing.

There also was a Zorki 1e... basically a Leica II copy. It still works, but I just can't work with the tiny viewfinder, dark rangefinder and easily jammed shutter. I guess, I'd say the same about an original early Leica. I have no idea, what people like about those.

Shooter
    Multi Format

Mamiya C220

I wanted to love this camera, picked it up on fleabay and it is a beautiful camera - but... The shutter was gummed, the film advance worked then failed, then worked, then failed, the back needed foam replacement. A good CLA would have fixed this, but I didn't know better.

Instead I sold it at a loss and found a Mamiya RZ67 I have been absolutely happy with ever since.

In 35mm, a Kodak Signet 35 - the camera my dad gave me to take a photography class with - made the class torture as I struggled over and over to overcome the limitations imposed by a very slow lens and rangefinder focussing.

I keep thinking I should get one of these to see if it really was as bad as I remember or if that was then - and then I recover and don't buy it.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    The Signet 35 is actually quite a decent camera but, like many mechanical items, it takes time to get used to it and one needs to make an effort to stop fighing it.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin