Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,557   Posts: 1,545,167   Online: 1070

Page 9 of 35 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213141519 ... LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    All you wonderful people disappointed with your Leica experience after using M3s need to try again with M7s. Also, are you sure it's not rangefinders in general that you are disappointed with?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You have my agreement on that one, Shawn. I would add, however, that trying out one of the M6 series might also give pause to reconsider. I have to admit that, in my case, it took a good six months of steady shooting to reach the point where my Leica M6 (rangefinders in general?) felt natural in my hands and in front of my eye. Now (with apologies to Mr Heston), you would have to pry the camera from my cold, dead hands.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Rahman View Post
    All you wonderful people disappointed with your Leica experience after using M3s need to try again with M7s. Also, are you sure it's not rangefinders in general that you are disappointed with?
    Poor workmen blame their tools

The M3's, in fact all the M series, are superb cameras, you're right not everyone'shappy using a range finder camera but some of my best 35mm work has been shot with an M3 and mid 50's Summicron.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post
    Poor workmen blame their tools
    What a bunch of crap!!!

My parents told that for years when I complained that my baseball mit was too stiff and even the coaches say something was wrong with it. The mit would not close on the balls and the balls bounced away. Years later the high school coach lent me his mit. The coach shagged balls to me for a half hour and I caught every ball. That night I confronted my parents. After that they never said that again.

Therefore whenever someone tells me that I know that they are saying that they are too lazy to understand what was being talked about.

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

What a bunch of crap!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Sirius Glass View Post
    What a bunch of crap!!!

My parents told that for years when I complained that my baseball mit was too stiff and even the coaches say something was wrong with it. The mit would not close on the balls and the balls bounced away. Years later the high school coach lent me his mit. The coach shagged balls to me for a half hour and I caught every ball. That night I confronted my parents. After that they never said that again.

Therefore whenever someone tells me that I know that they are saying that they are too lazy to understand what was being talked about.

Steve
    What a bunch of crap!!! That's what you've just written . . . .

Lets be realistic if a Leica's bought through a Leitz dealer and has been serviced then there's no excuses.

You're right in a way because there can always be exceptions. I bought my M3 as a user from a highly reputable Leitz dealer, and he's not expensive. The camera body had minor dings but is mechanically perfect.

I've seen a lot of work shot with M2/3/4/5/6 Leica's and they've always been outstanding in terems of quality, I'm talking about well known photographers. So I take comments taht Leica's are disappointing cameras as a pinch of salt. I'd add that I have an 80 year old Leica that still works flawlessly.

Ian
    Last edited by Ian Grant; 09-02-2011 at 05:03 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post
    I've seen a lot of work shot with M2/3/4/5/6 Leica's and they've always been outstanding in terems of quality, I'm talking about well known photographers. So I take comments taht Leica's are disappointing cameras as a pinch of salt. I'd add that I have an 80 year old Leica that still works flawlessly.
    Noone is arguing that an M3 can produce excellent photos, just that some posters find them disappointing. It's not the same thing.

Myself, a Nikon F4 was my recent disappointment. I really wanted one for many years and finally bought one, but just couldn't warm to it.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Thread is camera, not lenses. Leica lenses good. Leica film loading is like trying to be a dentist with oven mitts.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Aristophanes View Post
    Thread is camera, not lenses. Leica lenses good. Leica film loading is like trying to be a dentist with oven mitts.
    oh you met (name witheld)

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    The Canon ML can lay waste to a roll of film faster than any camera I've known.

But the Canonet QL17 GIII is the one that opened my eyes to rangefinders.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by cluttered View Post
    Noone is arguing that an M3 can produce excellent photos, just that some posters find them disappointing. It's not the same thing.

Myself, a Nikon F4 was my recent disappointment. I really wanted one for many years and finally bought one, but just couldn't warm to it.
    Exactly. A camera could be an excellent, even superb camera, and still disappoint someone and that wouldn't necessarily mean they're bad photographers either. Maybe it doesn't suit their style of working or doesn't fit their hands but fits other peoples or doesn't work the way they thought it did when they got it or any number of other reasons they could be disappointed.

I've never owned a rangerfinder camera. When I've played with them they've seemed, frankly, odd and awkward. I think I'd tend to shoot without focusing because the clear view would cause me to react as if it were in focus without pausing to align the rangefinder image. Of course I'd probably get used to that. I'm not saying I wouldn't like one, but I am saying "it would take getting used to" and I might or might not like it once I did.

In my case, I know that, but if I didn't know that and bought one on reputation alone I could easily be disappointed with it, even though it was a fine camera. Someone else would be disappointed with a view camera because they just wouldn't like working that slowly, where I enjoy it.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin