Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,550   Posts: 1,544,679   Online: 883

Page 1 of 35 123456711 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm
    Images

Most disappointing cameras?

As a rebuttal to the previous thread "Most Surprising cameras", What cameras really disappointed you and why?

My nomination: the Chinon CE-3 Memotron.
    Idea: auto-exposure on any M42 auto lens.
    Failure: cheap build quality feels and sounds well cheap.
    Go not to the elves for counsel, for they will say both yes and no.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Contax RTSIII. I bought a used one years ago. after a couple of rolls the shutter "commited suicide".
    Talking with the repairman he told me that such shutters (able to work at 1/8000 second) are built with very tight tolerances and
    risk to stop working very easily. In any case i've never taken a picture faster than 1/1000 sec. The viewfinder (very bright and sharp) used led for F, times, etc. They were unreadable with bright sun. I've never had a real feeling with this camera. I traded it with a Pentax 67 + lenses

Shooter
    Multi Format
    1) Minox 35: great, superb optics - but bad shutter. It just died without warning in Istanbul in critical situation. That is why now when I am on the road I use Nikon F3 or Leica M's only.
    2) Zorki, Kiev and other ex soviet cameras.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Olympus XA. I heard wonderful things about how sharp the lens was and was then consistently disappointed with the results. They weren't bad by any means but cameras slightly larger were significantly better. I ended up landing an XA4 instead; the wider angle lens made it more unique and worth carrying relative to other options.

Shooter
    35mm
    Leica M. Never lived up to the online eulogies.
    Steve.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Legge View Post
    They weren't bad by any means but cameras slightly larger were significantly better.
    I have same thing with small Rollei 35 (tessar f3.5) - but at least shutter is reliable.

Near Tavistock, Devon, on the edge of Dartmoor.
    Shooter
    35mm
    Olympus mju-II or Stylus Epic if you're in the US. So small and neat, sharp lens, showerproof .... yet light leaks are a persistent problem and flash shots are often over exposed.
    Steve

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by perkeleellinen View Post
    I didn't dare say that...but since you've said it first, I have to agree. The whole Leica system is undoubtedly amazing, and justifiably a legend, but I once tried an s/h M3 and a couple of lenses, just couldn't get on with it...sold it on at a small profit!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Just curious, what is disappointing with Leica M's? Excepting meter and the price.

Quote Originally Posted by perkeleellinen View Post
    OM-1n: Do I need to own a Leica?
    Rolleicord Va: Humble.
    Holga 120GFN: Amazingly simple yet it produces outstanding negatives to print.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    Pentax P30n with Kit Zoom. Bought to replace my Yashica GS because 'it's not as good as an SLR'. What a dissapointment. It took me a long time to work out the LENS was crap because every now and then I'd get a promising print (I'm guessing there was a lucky apeture/focal length combo in there somewhere).

MattC.

Page 1 of 35 123456711 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin