Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,993   Posts: 1,524,245   Online: 1060

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by John Koehrer View Post
    The first curtain travels across first, the second curtain follows. what you are describing is the first curtain slowing.
    This usually shows in an uneven exposure from side to side, not a vertical band.
    Hey John, how you been.

In my case it was a horizontal travel metal blind shutter on a Contax IIa.
    The lower curtain was moving too slow.

I was just last night reading a leica pdf to try to get a grip on how that shutter works. They were talking about another issue described as shutter bounce from a weak braking system that if the OP's problem isn't the hinge may be a possibility.

What do you think?

It probably is the hinge in this case but it is useful to try to diagnose these problems and learn how to rule things out.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hi again Bruce,
    Shutter bounce is always going to be at the wind end of the camera unless the curtain travels vertically.
    Shutter drag, is usually an increase of exposure as the shutter. If it's bad it can be across the entire negative.

I've been bitten more than once trying to fix something that I assumed was the problem and couldn't wean myself away
    from that (mistaken) conclusion
    Over time I don't usually do that any more. Just gotta look & screw(in a thoughtful manner) with it a while. If that doesn't work I have an eight pound sledge with a cut off handle that I adjust things with. Sorta like a sawed off shotgun. Does the job!
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I had the exact same problem with a Nikon FE2 which also turned out to be the light seals. I've replaced seals on about half a dozen cameras with interslice kits. Cleaning off old sticky foam is definitely a pita, but applying the new ones is a piece of cake.

It's interesting seeing which cameras can function fine without seals. My Pentax K1000 and Canon FTb both sealed well enough without 'em but the Nikon leaked like crazy.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin