Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,860   Posts: 1,583,155   Online: 786

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Camera fault or development (loading on the reel) issue?

Just stepped out of the darkroom and am drying some negs from one of my Minolta XG-1 (HP5) and noticed that a few frames have dark marks on them and some frames seem to not have the space in between (like the are dark as a neg = light in reverse)! They are still hanging, so I haven't had a chance to really investigate, but I'm wondering if it could have been me rushing in the darkroom and loading them wrong or if my film advance thingy is acting up. I will post an example this evening when they are dry; but wondering in the mean time if anyone has any experience with this.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Without more information this is just a quick assessment, it sounds like the film advance is not working correctly. The camera probably needs a CLA.

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well crap. Scanned a few and it looks like a light leak for sure. Here are two random shots that are affected :

first one is mid frame
    second is between frames
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails example1lightleak.jpg   example2lightleak.jpg  

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Not sure it is a light leak; according to the manual this camera has a horizontal-traverse focal plane shutter. If the two curtains moving horizontally are out of sync you may end up with such vertical band that looks like a flare. I'm not a technician, this is my 2c in the matter. I hope more people chime in. This camera is 30+ years old, it may need a CLA.
    Mihai Costea

"There's more to the picture
    Than meets the eye." - Neil Young

Galleries:My PN & My APUG

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Definitely looks like a camera problem. Problems during development don't often leave sharp straight lines of demarcation. A problem with the shutter or film advance could create patterns such as you have shown.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Okay, where is the best place to have it serviced? Find something local or is there an "old minolta guru" that I should send it to?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Check first that it isn't a light leak due to the back not closing properly. How are the light seals?
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Back closes firmly and tightly - seals are there - sorta degraded, though. The outward side is sticky in the area where it seals up, though.

Want to point out that the line is always there, now that I look closely. It's either a sharp white line, or a faint wide bar. It moves along the frame in each shot and is not in the same location. Would that be a curtain seam or a shutter issue?

Either way, I have a backup body that was donated to me (since I LOVE this little camera so much, I had to have another one) but it's the same age, and I am wondering if it will eventually meet this same fate.

Some more frames to study: (note, example #5 was on a previous role of film ... and when I started to notice this happen - and it was less prevalent then)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails example3lightleak.jpg   example4lightleak.jpg   example5lightleak.jpg   example6lightleak.jpg  

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Looks like perhaps your shutter curtains are not coming to rest in a closed position after a shot, but before you advance the film (and even while you are advancing the film in your case). This lets light pipe in until you advance the film/cock the shutter.

If this is the case, the longer you wait before advancing the film, the denser the light leak will be on the frame. Using that premise, you can test this on a tripod. Do some shots where you advance immediately. Do others where you wait different periods of time before advancing. Do others where you cover the lens immediately after taking a shot, and then advance the film with the lens covered. But don't change the position of the camera between shots. The amount of light coming in will not be constant shot to shot if you are moving the camera. Make sure to keep track of what you did on each frame.

FWIW, my Leica III has the same problem. Not worth fixing IMO. The repair is 2 or 3 times the replacement value of the camera.
    Last edited by 2F/2F; 09-01-2011 at 08:22 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Another test would be to make flash photos in a very dark room, at night.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin