Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,674   Posts: 1,481,887   Online: 1129

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    In case you have never seen one of those hot shoe to pc cord adapters...

http://www.amazon.com/Kalt-PC-Hot-Sh.../dp/B00009R8G8

Note the associated photo that shows the cord.

I use one of these frequently when I use small flashes and medium format cameras.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by brucemuir View Post
    Get a PC cable and hotshoe to PC adapter and use your 550/580EX in manual mode.

Or
    get a cheap Vivitar 283 and a PC to vivitar cable.
    Now that would be awesome, I use my 550ex in manual mode anyway. I love that thing. I got a few diffusors for it.

I figured the Nikkormat flash cable only told it when to fire, cool beans I'll have to get up on this. Thanks.

Gonna look a bit weird my 550ex hooked up to my old Nikkormat, but it will work.
    5x7 Eastman-Kodak kit / B+M 135mm Zeiss Tessar + Compur Deckel
    RB67 Pro S / 90 3.8 / WLF / prism finder / polaback
    FED-2 / 50 2.8 Industar 26m / 85 f2 Jupiter-9
    Canon 300v / 5D d*****l / L lenses

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    if your flash doesn't fire chances are you have the plug in the x-socket and the speed set greater than 125. if your flash fires and you are blacked out partially or totally, you are plugged into the m socket

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

X or M?

The MIR website has a little information on the Nikkormat FTn: http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography.../ftn/index.htm

You also have the option to use class "M" flashbulbs with this camera.

Last December I used an Olympus OM-1 and a Graflite with some Sylvania FP-26B flashbulbs to expose some Kodachrome 64. That combination will sync at any shutter speed up to the 1/1000 sec maximum of the camera.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Diamond-1-14.jpg  
    Dave

"She's always out making pictures, She's always out making scenes.
    She's always out the window, When it comes to making Dreams.

It's all mixed up, It's all mixed up, It's all mixed up."

From It's All Mixed Up by The Cars

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by j-dogg View Post
    I figured the Nikkormat flash cable only told it when to fire, cool beans I'll have to get up on this. Thanks.

Gonna look a bit weird my 550ex hooked up to my old Nikkormat, but it will work.
    The nikkormat will ONLY tell it to fire at the correct time.
    It wont relay any ttl info, thats why you need to use the EX's in manual mode.
    You will need to know subject distance & guide number for the flash in question because the 550/580's have no thyrister to quench the flash.

I would recommend a vivi 283 except it doesn't swivel. Only drawback.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Vivitar 1900 has PCcable incorporated. I just used in my Nikkormat FTn. Works fine.
    " A loving and caring heart is the beginning of all knowledge " ~ Thomas Carlyle ~

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Does the 550EX have a sync socket on the side, like a lot of the Nikon flash units? If it does, pick up a female-female sync cord like the Nikon SC-15 and use it to connect the 550 to the FTn directly. If not, then use the adapter. I would personally use the bracket, since the accessory shoe that Nikon provided for the early 'mats seems to need an eyecup (Nikon DK-4, btw) on the eyepiece ring to help keep it from rotating when a flash is mounted.

-J
    APUG: F4, F3P, F2ASx2, F FTn, FM2n, Nikomat FT2x2 - all blk bodies
    DPUG: D200
    Nikkors: 18-70/3.5-4.5G AF-S DX (for DPUG), 28/3.5 H, 35/2 O, 35-135/3.5-4.5 AF, 50/1.4 S, 50/1.4 SC, 50/2 AI, 55/2.8 Micro AIS, 85/1.8 K, 180/2.8 ED AIS

My FB - My flickr stream

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    T
    Quote Originally Posted by brucemuir View Post
    The nikkormat will ONLY tell it to fire at the correct time.
    It wont relay any ttl info, thats why you need to use the EX's in manual mode.
    You will need to know subject distance & guide number for the flash in question because the 550/580's have no thyrister to quench the flash.

I would recommend a vivi 283 except it doesn't swivel. Only drawback.
    The 283 and 285 both have removable sensors that fit into an extension cord ( which is hot shoe compatible) with the cord pointing towards your subject you can swivel the flash head any way you choose, the vivitar bracket grip does this for you.

David

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin