Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,549   Posts: 1,544,630   Online: 679

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Flash unit for first-gen Nikkormat FTn?

How the hell do you get a flash to work on these things? I got a shoe mount and a flash bracket. It's the older FTn that lacks the hotshoe on the prism that the FT2 has. It has the X and A plugs on the side for a flash cord.
    5x7 Eastman-Kodak kit / B&L 135mm Zeiss Tessar + Compur Deckel
    4x5 Graphic View, made in USA! New project
    RB67 Pro S /50 4.5 / 90 3.8 / 180 4.5 / WLF / prism finder / polaback
    Random 35mm stuff

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Umm...
    a PC cable from the X sync to your flash mounted either in the accessory add on cold shoe available for the early Nikkormats or your flash bracket.

Are you saying you've tried the PC cable route and it wont work?
    The sync contacts inside the camera body indeed can get corroded and fail over time.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    If you have connected a flash to the x contact via a pc cord and it didn't fire then first of all check that the sync cord is working by shorting the pin, if the flash fires then I would suspect that the problem lies with the contacts in the camera, I don't know the camera, but some cameras will not fire the flash if the camera is not set to the sync speed or slower, so also check that the camera is set to 1/30th or slower.
    Richard

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Are you sure the flash and its chord are working?

B2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by R gould View Post
    I don't know the camera, but some cameras will not fire the flash if the camera is not set to the sync speed or slower, so also check that the camera is set to 1/30th or slower.
    Richard
    Nikkormats sync at 1/125 but I cant remember if it fires at 1/250 and above.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    No I don't even have a cord or any of that but I wanted to get a flash unit for it. I've shot Canon EOS E-TTL this whole time so this is all new stuff for me. I just stick it on the hotshoe change my settings and go.
    5x7 Eastman-Kodak kit / B&L 135mm Zeiss Tessar + Compur Deckel
    4x5 Graphic View, made in USA! New project
    RB67 Pro S /50 4.5 / 90 3.8 / 180 4.5 / WLF / prism finder / polaback
    Random 35mm stuff

Shooter
    35mm RF
    It does but it doesn't expose the full frame. I've never heard of flash circuitry going in a Nikkormat.

B2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by j-dogg View Post
    No I don't even have a cord or any of that but I wanted to get a flash unit for it. I've shot Canon EOS E-TTL this whole time so this is all new stuff for me. I just stick it on the hotshoe change my settings and go.
    Get a PC cable and hotshoe to PC adapter and use your 550/580EX in manual mode.

Or
    get a cheap Vivitar 283 and a PC to vivitar cable.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    The flash contacts on the ttl flash our settings on the flash might be denting the wrong commands to the flash. The Nikkormat circut is much simpler than your EOS. It only tells the flash when to fire, nothing about when to stop the light the way your EOS does.

Check you flash manual about using out with an older canon model, say Ftb. That's about the same era as your FT2.

B2

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    If the camera does not have a hot shoe then you need some form of pc cord, you can get a hot shoe to pc cord adaptor where you put the flash onto the hot shoe and it has a cord comeing from the base of the adapetor, you put the flash with the adaptor onto the hot shoe or flash bar and connect the cord to the x sync socket and you should be fine, The other way is to get hold of an old Vivitar 283 flash with the cord and connect the cord the socket and you should be away,
    Richard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin