Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,565   Posts: 1,545,320   Online: 883

Shooter
    35mm

35-80 MM Lens help

Hello, i know this is a long shot, but i figured this would be the best place to ask,

I currently work in a Vintage charity shop, so we get alot of Cameras in,

A couple of weeks ago, we had, a Canon EOS 88, 35mm SLR i believe, which had a 35-80mm Lens on, with a I.R Series Super Wide Macro Lens, 0.42x AF, attached onto it.

I thought it would fit my camera, with my lens being the same, i have a Canon EOS 1000FN, 35-80mm lens, however, my lens is Ultra Sonic, so i can't get the wide angle attachment screwed on, i also have no idea what the difference in Lens is,

I was just wondering, is there any kind of Filter i can pick up cheap of ebay to get this wide angle screwed on, or am i going to have to buy another 35-80mm Lens?

Thanks in advance.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    From the name, it sounds like the lens attachment is a magnifying lens for close ups, which may not be what you are looking for.
    But in any case you will need an adaptor ring that mates the threaded diameter of your lens to the wide angle adaptor. This is either a "Step-up" ring, or a "Step Down" ring depending on whether the front of your lens is bigger or smaller than the wide angle adaptor.
    The size may be marked on the adaptor, and probably on the inside of your lens cap, otherwise you'll need to measure it in millimeters.
    B&H, Adorama, and perhaps any local shops carry a variety of these adaptors. You can see B&H's selection here; http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/browse...1/N/4277997913

Shooter
    35mm
    Thank you for the response,
    it just generally confused me, as i played about at work with it, and it was perfect, got it home, and couldn't attach it to my lens, i don't know much in terms of advanced photography, but my lens, the glass is more curved, where as the lens at work, was flat glass.

I have found the step down rings on ebay, relatively cheap, so i will give them a try, we haven't got that many good shops over here in the UK.

Thanks!

Shooter
    35mm RF
    The wide angle / macro attachment screws in to the filter thread of your lens, usually there's a indication what diameter that it fits in the attachment. So if it's different from your lens, you'll just have to get a step up or step down ring for it. No need to buy a new lens
    Those wide angle attachment are not known for quality, but if you're getting it cheap enough, it's pretty nice for playing around.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Welcome to APUG!

The I.R Series Super Wide Macro Lens, 0.42x AF is most likely an adapter designed to permit closer focus and/or a much wider angle of view - something like this:

http://www.amazon.com/opteka-35x-hd-...SIN=B000TQPTTM

This screws onto the filter rings of another lens, but at least with the example linked to, it is intended to be fitted to 67mm filter threads.

Many of the standard "kit" lenses for Canon take smaller filters - 58mm being very common.

This might work with a 58mm to 67mm filter step-up ring, but I would be concerned about the quality of the image resulting and the potential strain on the adapter and filter threads arising from hanging a fairly large adapter off the front of your lens.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Just to add: when I tried one of this things, the front part can be unscrewed, and the back part can be used as close up lens, with very bad quality of course again just fun to play with.
    Agree with matt, there is also some worries that the attachment will strain the AF motor.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin