Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,969   Posts: 1,558,518   Online: 1056

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks, it's a crapper then, I'll look for another lens to go with my 55mm Micro Nikkor, which I bought new, and know what it produces. I'm thinking in the range of 105mm now. I bought the F3hp and 55 for medical photography, brand new, and it still is. It's a great setup. As for picking a lens I haven't looked at Nikon 35mm in a long time.
    Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it. - Paul Strand - Aperture monograph on Strand

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Insofar as the short teles are concerned you may want to test out four before making your decision. The 105 f/2.5 AI/AIS is generally regarded as one of Nikon's best. That said, the newer 105 f/1.8 AIS would seem to match the former in sharpness while offering a minor gain in speed (even though you probably won't shoot wide open, the brighter image in the viewfinder is often appreciated). Weigh the gain in speed against the additional cost. Alongside the 105s, you should also give consideration to the 85 F/2 AI/AIS and the 85 F/1.4 AIS. Again, both are excellent lenses; the issue comes down to one of whether or not the one stop gain in speed is worth the price premium.
    As an aside, I have owned/or own the following: 85mm f/2 AI, 85mm f/1.4 AIS, 105mm f/2.5 AI and 105mm f/1.8 AIS. My personal favorites remain the 85 f/1.4 AIS and the 105mm f/1.8 AIS. Although I have yet, if memory serves, to shoot wide open, I do appreciate the brighter viewfinder image in the faster lenses. For me, ease of use is the foremost consideration.

cmo
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    The only problem with the 105mm lenses is their price. They just went through the roof on ebay. Some people ask for 300 Euros for a lens that cost less than that 20 years ago.

The 135mm lenses are a good choice, too. I own a 2.8 and two 3.5 lenses, and they are all excellent and do not cost much.

If you like zooms, the 4.5 /80-200 is a great lens, and it's often sold for next to nothing.
    The future belongs to the few of us still willing to get our hands smell like fixing bath.

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    The little E series 100/2.8 is killer. Small, light and very affordable--gives very little away to the bigger, heavier, and pricier 105/2.5. Use one with a 50/1.8E on an FG body for street shooting.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It's a stinker for sure, well, in the traditional sense. For Lomo style work, this lens is a $40 steal. Depends on what you like. The reviews were SO bad for this lens, that I had to get one. It has lived up to all the hype. But it has its place as a novelty lens.

ps.. whoops on the date!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0020.JPG  

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by PtJudeRI View Post
    It's a stinker for sure, well, in the traditional sense. For Lomo style work, this lens is a $40 steal. Depends on what you like. The reviews were SO bad for this lens, that I had to get one. It has lived up to all the hype. But it has its place as a novelty lens.

ps.. whoops on the date!
    Which version did you get? I have an early AI'd one that is crap and an AI that is decent. And the AI does really good for macro with a 14mm tube from 43-60mm.
    Last edited by f/16; 08-03-2013 at 02:36 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: typo
    Bill

Pentax 645, Pentax 6X7MLU, and many Nikons-F2 Photomic F2AS FM2N N2000 N6000 N6006 Nikomat FTN

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I did not acquire another lens. It is doubtful I will in the future, my needs have changed and my 35mm days have past.
    Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it. - Paul Strand - Aperture monograph on Strand

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I got my AI version of it a long time ago because honestly, it was dirt cheap so I figured if it didn't work out so what. Got good solid shots from it from my FA, FE and the F4S. Shots were of kids playing in the back yard so no critical work here, but for fun shooting it worked for me and was lucky I got a good copy.

I can also say the 100 E works nicely too. Still want to get the "real" 105 lens, but so far the old cheap "E" lenses have worked well....

Bob E.
    Nikon F5, Nikon F4S, Nikon FA, Nikon FE, Nikon N90, Nikon N80, Nikon N75, Mamiya 645 Pro, Mamiya Press Super 23, Yashica Lynx 14e, Yashica Electro GSN, Yashica 124G, Yashica D

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The later 43-86mm was okay for sharpness, but distortion control left something to be desired. Here are a couple of "brick wall" shots from my 43-86mm f/3.5 AI.

Attachment 62933 Attachment 62934

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Curt View Post
    I did not acquire another lens. It is doubtful I will in the future, my needs have changed and my 35mm days have past.

Curt is resting comfortable at home now, I think he sold that camera.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin