Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,550   Posts: 1,544,820   Online: 1065

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Nikon Nikkor-C Zoom 43-86

Is this a decent, ok, or great lens? I'm looking for something in this range among the multitude of lenses out there.
    Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it. - Paul Strand - Aperture monograph on Strand

Shooter
    35mm RF
    It's a so-so lens. The newer version is said to be better but I'm not sure.

I'm more of a prime guy myself so I might not be the best guy to ask.

B2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yea me too, primes, thought this might do for situation where a zoom would help.
    Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it. - Paul Strand - Aperture monograph on Strand

Shooter
    35mm
    Not the best choice in mid range zoom. 35-70 is better

Shooter
    35mm RF
    The C means its the multicoated earlier optical version, which helps a bit, but that older one was not a very good lens overall, although it does have its charm as a portrait lens when set at 60mm at or near wide open. Yep, the improved 43-86 is very good and perhaps a match for some primes, it does have a crazy good color rendition.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It's an early zoomer and though the later ones may be OK the older ones had visible distortion.
    Pincushion at one end and barrel at the other.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    My first zoom lens, a Nikon 43-86mm f/3.5, had such horrible image quality that I sold it and did not use zooms again for decades

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    It suffers from an urban legend rep as a dog, usually promoted by people who a)never knew there were two versions, and b) never shot either one. The later Ai version is no slouch, sharp with good contrast and a nice "walk-around" lens. The Ai is often available in EX shape for very little money, thanks to the early not-so-great NAI version.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You want the AI or pre AI, K version with the black filter ring and the s/n of 774071 or higher around the outside of the filter ring thread, see http://www.photosynthesis.co.nz/nikon/serialno.html
    Bob

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I've was given 2 of these and bought one for 18.00, all the newer Ai versions. Astoundingly decent for the price.
    My understanding for the older version was that it was good as a portrait/body lens because you could vary the barrel vs pincushion distortion ever so slightly to enhance or reduce.....It was Bob Guccione's favorite lens when he shot Pet's for Penthouse (NSFW!!) I think for this reason.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin