Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,807   Posts: 1,581,421   Online: 1148

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm
    Images

Canon FD SSC 50mm f1.4 VS FDn 50mm

Does anyone know if the
    Canon FD SSC 50mm f1.4 is different than the Canon FDn 50mm f1.4 optically.

When I put the two next to each other, one looks longer than the other and I swear I see different reflections.
    Go not to the elves for counsel, for they will say both yes and no.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Canon said of the new FD:

"The optical concept of this lens originated with the FL50mm f/1.4 II and FD50mm f/1.4. It achieves more compactness and higher contrast simultaneously. It has been called "the standard lens of standard lenses", because of its high image quality. It has an excellent color balance, which is virtually identical to the ISO recommended reference value."

The S.S.C. and the FDn have the same number of elements and groups, and it sounds like the basic design goes back to the 50mm f/1.4 FL lens. Maybe they just made the FDn one a bit smaller. I know they take 52 filters instead of 55's. And I can never tell the difference between the images made with each, even with my S.S.C. being full of fungus.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have the old S.S.c. 50 f/1.4. Never compare to the new one, but still an excellent performer.

Jeff

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have both. I can't tell them apart when pictures come.
    " A loving and caring heart is the beginning of all knowledge " ~ Thomas Carlyle ~

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The plastic mounted one has newer coatings, hence the 'reflections' look different. In high flare conditions you might notice higher contrast in images taken with the newer one but in essence both are in fact the same as the old FL 50mm f/1.4 and the newer autofocus EF 50mm f/1.4 as well. Canon got a lot of mileage out of what is essentially the same optical formula.
    Harry Pulley - Visit the BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE FORUM

Happiness is...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have both and I prefer the new type with the bayonet fitting and plastic barrel because they are lighter it takes 52mm filters like my other FD lenses, and they are a lot less fiddly to change quickly.
    Ben

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I prefer the old type. Call me "Old Fashioned"
    " A loving and caring heart is the beginning of all knowledge " ~ Thomas Carlyle ~

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    How do any of these iterations do wide open @ 1.4?
    I'm always looking for one that performs well wide open.

Most fastish 50's (1.4) I've tried usually are just passable wide open.
    The canon EF version does sharpen up quickly (1.8-2.2) though.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The FD versions also sharpen up quickly but I've found the FD and EF (unrelated designs) of 1.8 are actually sharper by f/4 or f/5.6. The f/1.2 models are even softer generally in my experience.
    Harry Pulley - Visit the BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE FORUM

Happiness is...

Shooter
    35mm
    This is a very old question. I have two 50/1.4 New FD lenses and three 50/1.4 FD SSCs. Both the older and newer lenses are very good. If one works better today it is because of condition and not design.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin