Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,915   Posts: 1,556,295   Online: 884

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Photography in the Rain - ideas on the cheap?

Hey guys,

So I'm going camping this weekend and the forecast looks like rain, rain, rain. That's ok I guess... just have to look back to Woodstock to know that it can still be fun. (I was there y'know!)

Anyways, it's a bluegrass festival, and I know there'll be some great pictures and I don't want the prospect of wet gear to stop me from shooting.

Any tips or tricks for "weatherizing" my Canon 35mm gear? I'm thinking about throwing on one of my beater lenses and putting it in a ziplock with a hole. But something more sophisticated would be good. Plastic, tape and whatever else I might have around the house are my tools. No time to go buy something designed for this.

Whaddya think?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    google "diy camera raincoat" and "diy camera rain cover"

(since we're international and multilingual: DIY = do it yourself)

Lee

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Sounds like you are on the right track!

Jeff

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I use a large 1 gallon ziploc for my hasselblad when I am going to likely face some rain. I make a small cut a little short of the lens diameter, then push the front of the lens through. I then attach my lens hood over it...

I then make another small slit for the prism viewfinder, and slip the rear of the bag with the slit over the eyepiece... you can then still access every from underneath, winding film, changing film backs, focus, aperture, shutter speed... The biggest hurdle is not being able to change lenses, so choose once!
    Please check out my website www.amoxomphotography.com and APUG Portfolio .....

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I've never tried it but what about rigging something with Saran wrap and a lens shade. Take a large umbrella and someone willing to hold it.

http://www.jeffreyglasser.com/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Canon 1V (1N to a lessor extent) with a sealed L lens is reasonably weather proof already. There are made for purpose camera plastic covers as well.
    Harry Pulley - Visit the BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE FORUM

Happiness is...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Nikonos or plastic camera rain coat. To make one out of any plastic bag that fits a lens hood is nice to tape or rubber band the opening to. We made them that way all the time for photographing fall football games. Some would make one large enough for their head to fit under to.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm really liking the idea of a large ziplock or trashbag, and a small hole rubberbanded around the UV filter.
    If you are the big tree, we are the small axe

Shooter
    35mm
    I use a clear shower cap on my SLR. They cost literally next to nothing and can wrap around a camera and lens. They come with a rubberband.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I use a Nikon FM. No need for rain cover.
    Last edited by mablo; 09-14-2011 at 11:15 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: typo

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin