Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,571   Posts: 1,545,554   Online: 1060

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If you want or need f/2.0 for your work, the fast wides are definitely usable. I love my 28mm f/2.0. It is as sharp as I need at any f stop. But if you don't want or need f/2.0, the 2.8 is technically the better performer, and cheaper.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by vpwphoto View Post
    Can not make assumptions, and why there are so many here that can give the facts as they know it.
    Yes, true. I was merely trying to give an opinion on the 28mm lenses as I only have the f/2.8 version of the 24mm, so cannot honestly say how good the f/2 equivalent is.
    Carl.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I don't have Nikon stuff, but my Canon 2.8 FD 24 is very good in all!

Jeff

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I'm on my second 24mm f.28 in 40+ years. I purchased one of the first ones available and it took about 65% of all my shots. It's simply the best SLR lens for me.
    I now use a Leica 21mm f2.8 ASPH a lot but that's only because I use an M7 a lot. If I get a 1.4 WA, it's probably yogin to be a Lieca simply for the noise factor of the M7 versus a Nikon.-Dick

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've got a 24/2.8 AIS. Its not the sharpest lens I own, but it never disappoints. Mine's not exactly pristine though, it had a dented filter ring when I bought it and it once tumble out of my jacket pocket and nearly bounced out the back of a moving truck. Even so, its sharp enough for me at f/2.8 and I've never had a problem with flare.

I'll add my vote for saving your money and getting the 2.8 unless you need the speed of the 2.0.

Adam

Shooter
    Multi Format
    What aroth87 said. The 24/2.8 has been one of my favorite lenses for something like 20 years. I got mine well used (newspaper photographer) but it has never disappointed me.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I, too, have owned both. I only opted for the 24 F/2 because I got a steal of a deal on the lens. If given the choice now, I would probably opt for the 2.8 and load up on some extra Tri-X. Where the 24 F/2.8 really excels over the F/2 is its use in macro work: throw a reversal ring on the baby and get some serious magnification!

Shooter
    35mm
    I own the f2, and the extra stop is a huge advantage, i wouldnt replace it for a tiny bit of extra sharpness at f2.8

Shooter
    35mm
    With these sorts of choices I tend to go for smallest and lightest, but here there isn't that much difference between the two. I've handled both but only ever shot the 2.8, when you hold them both together they are very similar in size with the 52mm filter thread and seem about the same weight give or take. The 2.8 is currently my favourite lens and my 'normal' focal length, I often use it with the thin K1 ring which is great for close ups.
    Steve.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    My vote is for the f/2. But I like "Special Effects" wide open.
    " A loving and caring heart is the beginning of all knowledge " ~ Thomas Carlyle ~

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin